Gosling ID

Mar21

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi :)

I'm a new goose mom and I recently rescued a little gosling. A woman was driving home up our road and saw him in the middle of it; he came right up to her and everything, so she was going around asking who owned him. My mom is an experienced vet tech so we took him in. There is one farm down the road that has geese, but it's down the mountain we live on, and there is no chance little Merlin would have made it up the mountain without being hit by a car or eaten by someone's barn cat. Would anyone happen to be able to ID him from these photos? I'm not the best photo taker, but I'll try to find some good ones!
IMG_20170519_105813.jpg
20170518_190833.jpg

unnamed.jpg

I don't have any super recent pictures from today, but his black feet and legs are turning slightly pink/rose colored and he's getting light baby feathers around his wingtips. He's a precious baby; I think he is about 10 or so days old (that's at least how long we've had him), but I am completely 100% new to this waterfowl deal. I've had chickens but never a goose! He's such a beloved little baby; if I can find out what kind of goose he is (if he's not a Canadian because unfortunately we can't keep them), my parents are going to allow me to get a zoning ordinance or what not from our county and put a small pond in. Then we are going to get more goslings so he can have a flock and enjoy our small farm :) My parents love him! Just today I caught my dad (Mr. I-Don't-Want-No-Goose-In-This-House) scritching under his chin and feeding him dandelion leaves! And my twin brother (Mr. Birds-Are-Dumb-Why-Is-That-Goose-Still-Here), who pretty much dislikes all birds, was cuddling him and feeding him when I got home from work.

Sorry if this is super long! Thank all of you for being so awesome and helping me out on my "trying to figure out what I'm doing" journey ^^ If I can keep him, I guess I'll need to move to a house that has a pond and plenty of land when I graduate from college next year xD

I highly doubt that he's a Canadian gosling if his feet and legs are turning pinkish since Canadian geese have black legs. He looks very much like a toulouse gosling. I went through this about a month ago with my goslings who I was told were toulouse but are actually African.

I highly doubt that he's a Canadian gosling if his feet and legs are turning pinkish since Canadian geese have black legs. He looks very much like a toulouse gosling. I went through this about a month ago with my goslings who I was told were toulouse but are actually African.

Ah! Thank you for the quick reply! I was thinking Toulouse, but the odds of just finding him out in the road near us was too slim for me to really consider it seriously. My mom and I were starting to question ourselves though because of the feet; his bill just doesn't have that light tip we keep seeing :)

Wow, you were told they were Toulouse but they were African? I wonder how that happened, oh man!

Ah! Thank you for the quick reply! I was thinking Toulouse, but the odds of just finding him out in the road near us was too slim for me to really consider it seriously. My mom and I were starting to question ourselves though because of the feet; his bill just doesn't have that light tip we keep seeing :)

Wow, you were told they were Toulouse but they were African? I wonder how that happened, oh man!

I'm far from an expert so keep watching him as he grows. It'll be interesting to see for sure once he feathers out completely!

With mine, they just happened to be in a bin at the feed mill when I went to get feed. The guy was selling them half price because he was supposed to have gotten ducklings in but got goslings instead and said that they were brown toulouse. With all that confusion, I guess it's not too far fetched to believe that they sent Africans instead lol. I'm actualy psyched about that though. I LOVE the way Africans look lol

I'm far from an expert so keep watching him as he grows. It'll be interesting to see for sure once he feathers out completely!

With mine, they just happened to be in a bin at the feed mill when I went to get feed. The guy was selling them half price because he was supposed to have gotten ducklings in but got goslings instead and said that they were brown toulouse. With all that confusion, I guess it's not too far fetched to believe that they sent Africans instead lol. I'm actualy psyched about that though. I LOVE the way Africans look lol

I'm glad to have your opinion on him thought :) I'm so excited for him to feather! Hopefully he feathers before I go back to York for the school year, that way I can know for sure if I can get my "make a pond, get more geese" plan underway before I leave! He's very attached to me, I'd feel terrible leaving him here alone. He needs a flock lol

They do look really cool! I love the knob on their heads and how they sound :) I remember seeing some pictures of African goslings and geese while trying to find out what Merlin was and hoping he was one xD They look very handsome but also like little guard dogs!

I'm glad to have your opinion on him thought :) I'm so excited for him to feather! Hopefully he feathers before I go back to York for the school year, that way I can know for sure if I can get my "make a pond, get more geese" plan underway before I leave! He's very attached to me, I'd feel terrible leaving him here alone. He needs a flock lol

They do look really cool! I love the knob on their heads and how they sound :) I remember seeing some pictures of African goslings and geese while trying to find out what Merlin was and hoping he was one xD They look very handsome but also like little guard dogs!

It's wonderful when they're so attached. You're going to have quite the little buddy now and I'm sure that pond full of geese will be coming in time :)

Ours imprinted on us pretty good and we've been able to take them outside to follow us around the yard since they were a few days old. They don't follow quite as closely or consistently now (they're just over a month old) but they still like to be near us. They come in to the garden with us to help weed it and while we were playing a family game of Frisby the other day, they had to be the monkeys in the middle lol. Sunshine likes to be held. He's the big one so we're assuming he's a boy. Lollipop likes to be nearby but not touched. She's already started to act like a guard dog and "goosed" one of our dogs in the butt yesterday when she got too close lol.

It's wonderful when they're so attached. You're going to have quite the little buddy now and I'm sure that pond full of geese will be coming in time :)

Ours imprinted on us pretty good and we've been able to take them outside to follow us around the yard since they were a few days old. They don't follow quite as closely or consistently now (they're just over a month old) but they still like to be near us. They come in to the garden with us to help weed it and while we were playing a family game of Frisby the other day, they had to be the monkeys in the middle lol. Sunshine likes to be held. He's the big one so we're assuming he's a boy. Lollipop likes to be nearby but not touched. She's already started to act like a guard dog and "goosed" one of our dogs in the butt yesterday when she got too close lol.

It is wonderful! He follows me everywhere and it always makes me smile when he gives his little "Mama you're walking to fast!" beep! I can't wait!!

Sunshine and Lollipop are adorable names! I can't wait until Merlin meets our horses and goat :) We have minis, normal horses, a mini donkey, and our goat Kacey. I love that verb, "goosed," lol. He's very good outside and just sticks with me or eats grass while I do chores. Luckily our dogs are small and old, so they won't bother him. The outside animals on the other hand, they may learn what the word "goosed" means once he's older xD

Here's a better picture of him with his legs from when he was hanging out with me today :) His beak has also turned more brown than the pitch black it was when we first found him.
18678802_1438110132875895_20168276_n.jpg

He sure is a cutie! Be prepared, they grow so fast! Here are Sunshine and Lollipop. They are 4 1/2-5 weeks old now. I just took these pictures 10 minutes ago. Don't worry, they only sleep in this cage not stay there all the time lol.

IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG

Here's a better picture of him with his legs from when he was hanging out with me today :) His beak has also turned more brown than the pitch black it was when we first found him. View attachment 657369
I know this is from a year ago so idk if youll get this, but did you ever find out what breed it is? My goslings feet are changing colors as well and look like this.

Back
Top Bottom