Gosling keeps falling on his back, and I don't know what to do.

iammachine

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2015
Missouri
This little guy has been falling on his back for a while now and I don't know why, do you have at ideas?? He's falling over 20+ times a day, he can't seem to keep his balance for long when he does have it.
He's almost 2 months old, whenever he doesn't fall on his back he carries himself like this.

This little guy has been falling on his back for a while now and I don't know why, do you have at ideas?? He's falling over 20+ times a day, he can't seem to keep his balance for long when he does have it.
He's almost 2 months old, whenever he doesn't fall on his back he carries himself like this.

Up his niacin intake. They have feet and weakness issues if they have a niacin deficiency. Keep him contain to a small area. You can purchase niacin in the vitamin section in any grocery or drugstores. They typically come in capsules, cut the capsules in half and put a half in a few gallons of water, make it his water source. If you cannot get to the store today, and have peas...crush up peas (canned, frozen, fresh) and feed it to him.

Hope that helps

If niacin helps him, give it to all your other water fowl bc it may happen to them as well.

Idk if my last response was put on here...give him the vitamin niacin. If you have peas around, give him that too. Niacin can be found in capsules in the vitamin section in any grocery or drugstore. Research if you have any food on hand that is high on niacin too.

So I've been giving him Brewers Yeast since this began, because it has a high concentration of Niacin, but he has had no improvement.
I bought some Niacin pills last night and have given him it in water, and honestly I think he's doing worse.... I can't even help him flip on his feet. I'm starting to wonder if culling would be the better option.

I would give it a week....it does take time. My experience with it is if I catch it the earliest they started showing signs, it would take 3 days minimum before they showed any improvement. Also make sure you use a gizzard dewormer as well.

Yeah, I guess I can give him another week. I just hate seeing the little guy like this. :/
He doesn't have access to grit, I can make a trip into town and get some if you think it'd help him.

Yeah, I guess I can give him another week. I just hate seeing the little guy like this.
hmm.png

He doesn't have access to grit, I can make a trip into town and get some if you think it'd help him.
What are you feeding? Looks very dry where you are too does the gosling and other water fowl have access to water where they can wash their faces? or swim. Pool time for your gosling with you there to watch and help if needed can strengthen leg muscles.

Brewers yeast has to be the nutritional kind not the kind for making wine etc. and if you give niacin it has to be plain not time released or flush free.

I would keep him in small pen and make sure he has access to feed and water 24/7 right now maybe put another duck or gosling with him for company that doesn't pick on him.

Also some really good poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri Drench can really help too. and if it's neurological and leg Brewers yeast and PND can help with both. it's amazing what they can recover from if given a chance. @iammachine

Grit should always be offered if they are eating anything other than their starter feed.

Back
Top Bottom