Gosling pulling feathers out of chickens and eating them

scunha4102

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2021
My 5 week old Toulouse gosling has suddenly started biting my chickens. Hes pulling their feathers out and eating them. Does anyone know if this is some sort of deficiency? Or just behavioral? This is my first time raising geese.

Thank you!

Only thing that comes to mind,,,,,,,,,, if there is a protein deficiency in goosies :love diet.:idunno Try giving additional protein to her, and see if it helps.
I don't have geese, but the feather eating somehow points to yummy flavor with protein as benefit.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Did you resolve this I'm having the same issue mine is 3 weeks old cant tell if male or female?
Unfortunately it continued to get worse. The whole point of having him was to guard the flock so I had to harvest him. My female is perfectly polite with the chickens so I know this wasn't a dietary deficiency, just a behavioral issue.

Unfortunately it continued to get worse. The whole point of having him was to guard the flock so I had to harvest him. My female is perfectly polite with the chickens so I know this wasn't a dietary deficiency, just a behavioral issue.
I wonder if it's the same with me. I have two gosling one big one small and it's the smaller one that pulling feathers. Even pulling from the other geese. I will wait until I put them outside if it doesn't change then I will harvest it. Thx

I did more research and apparently ducks and geese need niacin something that is not in chicken feed. So I switched the ducks and geese to duck pellets that had niacin included and add dried black soldier fly to the mix until I can get my freeze dried mullet supply up, but they are playing well together for the past two weeks all the feather's on the ducks returned.

I did more research and apparently ducks and geese need niacin something that is not in chicken feed.
If you have a mixed flock, you may consider using a feed that covers all your birds. I use Alflock. It is at 2% calcium, so you do need to provide free-choice calcium, like Cracked Oyster Shells. for your Layers.

I don't have ducks or geese, but do have layers, and Geriatric chickens that no longer lay eggs.

Alflock does have Niacin as ingredient. ( a,,,, B Vitamin)

I have been keeping chickens for over 20 years, and Alflock is my preferred choice. Just wanted to add,,, all my chickens live looooong lives.

Back
Top Bottom