Gosling question

cookinmom

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Saint George GA
I'm planning on ordering a pair of day-old goslings in the spring, so I've started studying up on them now.

Do you handle them pretty much the same as baby chicks, or differently? Do they need those same temp requirements and all?

I'm planning on ordering some chicks at the same time, but I don't want to keep them together and have the geese turn out thinking they're chickens.

I'm leaning toward Pilgrims at the moment. I like the way they look, and the fact that they're not huge when they're grown.

I've spent half the morning on here reading goose posts, and looking at pics. Y'all have some great-looking geese!

I have a 2 month old Toulouse that hangs out with the cats!
big_smile.png

I was wondering, though, if they have to have the 95 degrees like chicks do, gradually reducing each week. Also, do they have to stay in the brooder as long as chicks? I'd like to let them out in the grass pretty young (in their pen, though). I guess what I'm trying to ask is how long before they can move into their pen outside?

Quote:
I am not a chicken man, I do cool my geese down faster than what you indicate, in fact I don't use a thermometer, if they are cold they huddle together and peep, warm they seperate and 'pant'
Depending on time of year they are usually outside after 3-4 weeks here in NC.

Goslings don't need near as much heat as chickens do. I think I kept mine with a light for about a week. Mine lives with some ducks right now, they are pekin and cayuga mixed, and about a week older than the gosling. So they are pretty much the same size, for now anyway. The gosling is slowly outgrowing the ducklings!!

I wouldn't keep chicks with them, like the other poster said, mainly because of the size difference. Also because baby waterfowl love to make a mess with their water!! Chicks don't like wet, and it could cause problems.

When they could go outside would depend on the temps in your area. Mine was outside at about 2 1/2 weeks here, but it was in the 70's and 80's. A friend of mine puts hers outside at around a week old, even in cooler months.
smile.png

Thanks, y'all! I plan on ordering them in late March or early April, and by then it's "usually" in the mid to upper 70s here during the day. They sure are cute! Don't know how I'm gonna wait that long!

Back
Top Bottom