GOSLING SCREAMING AT ME! how do I get a break?

I also had a canada goose gosling brought to us by a couple who found it on a highway, all by itself. We have ducks, chickens and a big pond on small acreage. This gosling is now about 12 days old, and has settled in nicely. He imprinted on me mostly, but is content to follow my husband too, and cuddle in his sweater. We let him patter around the kitchen, and he follows us out on the property, picking at bits of greenery. He settles down for a nap in his pet carrier when he's tired. Seems he's content to just hang around us, where he can see us. No worries about the cats.. he already, at 350 grams, chases them off, head down winglets flapping, hissing. Cats just get out of the way. Too funny. For now , anyway. This is uncharted territory for us. He'll squawk if he loses sight, but if he's in his carrier, I just move it to where he can see us. Doesn't like water much, except to drink. What a character he is.. we are both totally smitten!
love.gif

Quote:
LUCKYDUCKS-
Your story is almost exactly where me and my husband are going thru right now. I too found a gosling abandend,very wet and shivering. He was on a very busy road by my grandmas house. He ran strait for me when he saw me. I guessed his age at 6days old, that was on May 6th. He has imprinted on me too, but follows my husband around and sits in his sweatshirt too. I just cannot believe how closely your story runs with mine. I just have the 3 dogs instead of cats. I have not weighed the lil guy but I do know he has grown alot since I found him. The day I found him and brought him home;) I wasn't sure what kind of "Duck" he was, and I know that birds are flock animals, my husband told me to take a pic. of him and go to the local feed store and get him a friend and find out what breed he is. So.....I went to the store and showed the pic. to the guy that works there, I asked him what kind of duck is this, he looked at the pic. and looked at me, and said thats a African gosling. I will show ya, so he showed me some goslings that looked exactly like him. I couldn't believe it was a GOOSE! I never owned a goose, the only thing I thought is that they chase you and bite your butt. I asked they guy if I could buy one and he said they only sell in pairs.
sad.png
So I decided to get him a Khaki Campbell duckling (1day younger) those two are stuck like glue now. BEST BUDDIES!
I think we will keep them.
wink.png

I too have 2 Pekin ducks, they are 7wks old and big! they are outside for sure. I just wanted to ask you if you have introduced your lil guy to your ducks? and what was their response?

The goose's name is Pendleton (after my husbands favorite whisky:) and his buddy the duck is Coco (girl) the two Pekins names are Peepers and Lumpy.
It was nice to hear that im not the only one going thru this right now. Its alot of work but well worth it!
thanks so much,
Tina
91314_on_the_couch_having_a_visit_with_auntie_laura10days-9days.jpg

Enjoy it!
My Henry was the same- I took him EVERYWHERE with me. We went to the parks, the stores, etc...he has a car seat in my passenger seat.
Now he is four weeks old, and I have to beg him to spend time with me now.
sad.png

He is buddies with Doodle, my muscovy mule, and he has better things to do than track down his Mama all the time.

They outgrow their neediness real fast.

Quote:
Mom 2em all-
I saw Henrys pics in your earlier post "the best day ever" when he went to the school with you. I saw him in his carseat. that was tooo cute! I have taken my babies outside multiple times to graze with the Pekins (with me watchin out for them) and today earlier when I took them outside for their slug fest, when it was time to go in and warm up (and it was pouring down rain) they were playin hard to catch. Espeially the duck. Im gettin kinda worried that im not going to be able to catch them and they are too young to just stay out. Not really sure what to think. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
T.

Hello there! New to this forum and to raising any kind of bird! But we now have a 10 day old gosling we rescued when it was a few days old. We're learning very quickly and I can say that you could try giving your gosling some mirrors to keep it company. We gave our little guy(girl?) a mirror in the nesting box and in the playpen we keep it in during the day and it was very content to cuddle up with it. Before I put in the mirror, it would really cry whenever I was out of sight. Now, its much more calm and content to have its "siblings" to keep it company. Good Luck!

Quote:
Mom 2em all-
I saw Henrys pics in your earlier post "the best day ever" when he went to the school with you. I saw him in his carseat. that was tooo cute! I have taken my babies outside multiple times to graze with the Pekins (with me watchin out for them) and today earlier when I took them outside for their slug fest, when it was time to go in and warm up (and it was pouring down rain) they were playin hard to catch. Espeially the duck. Im gettin kinda worried that im not going to be able to catch them and they are too young to just stay out. Not really sure what to think. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
T.

It seems that ducks feather out much much faster than geese do. Henry still is a sponge- his feathers are poking through, but nothing to keep him warm or dry. I followed him with an umbrella today
smile.png

Have you tried picking up your goose and walking AWAY from your duck? Thats how I get Doodle to follow. Much easier than trying to catch him.

The rain definitely bothered me much more than them today. They were typical kids who didnt think anything about getting chilled.

ANother trick is treats. Use something they really like. Get them hooked on one special treat- and then ONLY give it to them when you want to get them from one point to another.
smile.png

Quote:
Mom 2em all-
Thanks,
T.

It seems that ducks feather out much much faster than geese do. Henry still is a sponge- his feathers are poking through, but nothing to keep him warm or dry. I followed him with an umbrella today
smile.png

Have you tried picking up your goose and walking AWAY from your duck? Thats how I get Doodle to follow. Much easier than trying to catch him.

The rain definitely bothered me much more than them today. They were typical kids who didnt think anything about getting chilled.

ANother trick is treats. Use something they really like. Get them hooked on one special treat- and then ONLY give it to them when you want to get them from one point to another.
smile.png

Mom 2em all-

Ya, the duck and goose had a care in the world that I was getting soaked!
lol.png
All they wanted to do is eat and be cute, oh and also wanted to see the Pekin's, and visaversa-too cute. They were burrying their faces in the deepest horse hoof hole filled with water from the rain, then come up with a muddy beak and face:lau
91314_face_all_muddy_after_the_bud_hole_5-13-11.jpg

We had much fun!
As for bein able to catch particularly Coco (duck) I do grab the goose first but coco will go from one side of me to the other and when I wen to step forward to grab her she would out run me lol. So I bought baby frozen peas tonight(their dethawing in the refer. right now) So maybe I will see if they like them and use them for their "special treat" hee hee. THIS IS FUN! lol
my last resort is to take a small towel out with me and when they come close I can throw it over her to stop her then pick her up and tell her good girl and give her a pea. that is my itinary for the next couple days. I have til the 21st to train these guys. gal/guy. I think it may work. thank you for your help and your stories about Henry, I laugh every time cause I think of his legs streached out in his car seat. LOL
Til next post, take care.
Tina

my baby squawks all the time if he's put away. Most of the time I let him play on a bath towel on the floor next to my desk with his food and water. I bring in grass for him to pick through and he has a big jelly worm toy to play with. He's near me so he's happy but I get to do my thing. If he wants to sleep he wants to be held. He doesn't like laying on the floor to sleep and I'm guesing it's a warmth thing. I use a wash rag or flour sack cloth or baby diaper etc, and lay it out on my shirt and let him rest along my chest or shoulder with the tip of the cloth just over his bum. he usually only poops when he wakes up but I'm ready. He follows me through the house and the cats and rabbits don't mess with him. He has 2 chicks for friends but he could care less really. He'll defend them but he isn't comforted by them. My daughter has to babysit him for me if I need to leave. He gets very distraught.

At night I put him in the box with a stuffed animal, 2 chicks, a warm rice bag wrapped in a towel to lay on, his food, and water. I have a light for him to see. Music doesn't help. In fact it makes it worse. If he hears voices he starts screaming. He screams at bedtime but stops pretty quickly as long as I'm quiet. When my alarm clock goes off in the morning he starts going off too to let me know he's heard the clock and it's time to get up.

As much as he is needy I know it won't be forever and I love love love him so much. Sometimes you just have to let them 'cry' for a bit so they know they are safe without you and you will come back. My best friend keeps hers in a laundry basket with a towel and brings them around the house with her so they can see her.

While he's little and super cute no one will bother me with him. He's so cute they all just want to see him and ask about him. I've not had anyone get mad at a store yet. I take him in a leather bag with a nylon lining and I put in a hand towel for him to stand on and he peeks his head out the top. He has a box in the car that is small with a towel, food, and water. I wub him!

IM SO UPSET RIGHT NOW!
hit.gif

My DH and I took Coco(kc 16days) and Pendleton(the 17day gos.) Out for their evening slug fest with the 7mo. Pekins, and we where watching something the pekins were doing (they were all in front of us, I turned around and picked something up at this time my DH turned my way and took a step and the Coco ran right under his foot as he was setting it down and he crushed her pretty good,he didn't put his full weight down and he didn't kill her she has a tear under her wing and the lil bone is visible. DH is beside himself, and I feel so bad for her too. She is not herself right now, and im so afraid im gonna lose her. the wound is under her wing and it bled but is not bleeding now. She has pooped and drank a lil bit of water. I have them covered in a nice quiet place now, and I really am hoping she will be ok. Just don't know what to think?
Anyone have any thoughts? (she is also peepin back and forth with her buddy)
91314_coco_alone_in_her_tub_5-14-11.jpg

Prayers please

Thanks,
T.

Back
Top Bottom