gosling suddenly died why?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickyxo, Mar 24, 2016.

1. chickyxo

chickyxo New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Hi guys I'm a new member to this group but having been reading your helpful posts for sometime and I'm looking for some help. My self and my partner recently hatched a female pilgrim goose in our incubator (needed a little help hatching and still had a small amount of yolk to absorb) that seemed to be doing very well was up walking about eating,drinking and was taken out for small periods of times to be petted showed no signs what so ever that it had been unwell then when my partner got home today after being at town she was lying flat out dead in the incubator she was about a week old maybe slightly older we just don't understand how she can suddenly die ? Is it possible she got an infection from her semi healed bellybutton,or could she have died from loneliness. ? I haven't been staying at home for a few days (been unwell) then my partner had to go to town for a few hours and she was squeeking alot as he was leaving he thought she was just wanting some attention so open her box and said bye. She had access to fresh water and food,her heat lamp was on and since birth she had a teddy for company is there anything we could have done we are both devestated at the loss any help would be greatly appreciated

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

:hugs So sorry for the loss of your girl. I've never owned a goose. So sadly I can't help you. But I wanted to convey my sympathies. Welcome to BYC, I just wish it was under better circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I'm sorry that its not under better circumstances that you make your first post.

Alas, i know nothing about raising geese, but maybe if you post on the "Geese" forum you may get help with knowing what could have been the issue.

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't think she would have died of loneliness so soon. Was she eating and drinking since birth, and having normal poo? She may have been too hot or too cold in the brooder.

The folks with geese would know much more than I do. Some hatchlings just fail to thrive.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC (sorry it's not under better circumstances)

x2 on posting on the geese forum. Hopefully they can help you figure out what happened. Although, as drumstick diva said, sometimes hatchlings just don't thrive.

6. chickyxo

chickyxo New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks everyone for your kind words it's just horrible but I suppose a fact of life. Could someone please tell me how to post it to the goose section x

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It's under Forums, Other Backyard Poultry, Geese:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/47/geese

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You said that she died in the incubator?

10. chickyxo

chickyxo New Egg

Mar 24, 2016

Hiya yeah she was eating and drinking plenty from what o could see and was generally very active she never showed any signs that she was to hot/cold so I'm really not sure what happend my partner is sure it was lonely ness but I'm not convinced she seemed to young for that x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by