Gosling with Curled Toes

Yeet

In the Brooder
May 31, 2018
Hello. I recently took in two 4 day old sebastopols and theyre doing great overall. However, Bill has curled toes and i was wondering how bad its going to affect him as he grows or gets older? He gets around just as well as his brother Ted, but does seem to be a tad bit more clumsy.

I know their bones arent completely hardened after hatching but would i be able to do anything after 4 days? A few of his toe joints also seem to be larger than normal but he doesnt seem to be in any discomfort. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated :)

Attachments

• 20190517_205717.jpg
    20190517_205717.jpg
    853.7 KB · Views: 16
Hopefully someone will give you more expert advice but my daughter has straightened crooked toes and feet on birds by fashioning shoes out of cardboard. She draws a pattern around the actual foot on the cardboard, cuts it out and tapes it to the sole securely enough to hold the toes in straight alignment. She last did this with our neighbor's adult peacock and it worked like a charm within a few days. I would attempt to correct the deformity now while Bill is so young, but that said, I have a lame Toulouse gander (who also lost an eye) and he gets around just fine.

Hopefully someone will give you more expert advice but my daughter has straightened crooked toes and feet on birds by fashioning shoes out of cardboard. She draws a pattern around the actual foot on the cardboard, cuts it out and tapes it to the sole securely enough to hold the toes in straight alignment. She last did this with our neighbor's adult peacock and it worked like a charm within a few days. I would attempt to correct the deformity now while Bill is so young, but that said, I have a lame Toulouse gander (who also lost an eye) and he gets around just fine.
I have heard about the cardboard thing so ill definitely try it out. Glad to hear if all else fails he can still have a chance of normalcy. Thank you for your input :)

Back
Top Bottom