Gosling with Neurological Damage, Please Help!

JustDuckyTexas

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
I hatched two goslings in the incubator. One is fine and healthy. The other one seems to have some sort of problem. She has a hard time controling her neck muscles, can't stand up, and falls over on her back, then waves her little feet and cries. She may be blind, but it is hard to tell. The other baby is very concerned about her, and hangs around her protecting her and sleeping on her. He screams if I take her away. Has anyone had a gosling like this improve? Is putting her down the only solution? I am so upset.
A nice member of the Farm Life Forum said the following works with chicks. I called the vet and was told that no medicine has been approved for use with Geese, but only because no one has studied it, and I may as well give it a try since she most likely won't get better on her own. Does anyone else have any ideas on this? Have you tried "chicken medicine" on your waterfoul?
Daily Dosage for Limbernecl/Crookneck in chickens:
400 IU of vitamin E (one human capsule)
Selenium 50 micrograms (You may have to get a larger tablet and cut it in half or quarters)
Crush the Selenium into a fine powder. Take the Vitamin E capsules a poke a hole in one end with a pin, then squeeze the luquid out into a tiny dish. Mix the powdered Seleium into the Vitamin E liquid using a wooden matchstick or something similar. Hold the chick in one hand, with the other scoop up a small amount of the mixture, pry open the chicks’ beak and place the mix inside the chick’s beak, allowing it to swallow it on it’s own. Fed the chick the entire mixture. Do this once a day for 7 days.

Last edited:
I have heard of it used for chickens many times. I don't know about geese but I don't think the vitamins will harm the gosling. If it is in bad shape the least you can do is try it before you have to cull it. If it improves then you have experience under your belt to use in a crisis like this again.

back to add -

I have hatched 2 batches of goose eggs. I didn't have any problems with them at all. I do know it can take 24 hours or longer to get their heads and necks under control. If the gosling is over 48 hours and still flopping and can't get it together to hold his head right I would give the Vit E.

She's 4 days old. Her neck is definitely bent The other one is 5 days old, and quit flopping like this after 2 days. This one didn't seem quite right from the beginning.

Definitley try the Vit E or polyvisol. Poly vi sol is PERFECT for this type of problem. Give 3 to 4 drops ONCE a day for 3 days then taper off to 2 drops for 4 days.

Hello, I have the same problem with a abay goose that was born a few days ago The goosling is 5 days old. I use BOSE for my goats and it has 5.48 mg of selenium for each ml and 50 mg of vitamin E I am thinkin 1/2 cc or less for the goosling for 5 days. Do you think this is to much?
Any suggestions?

I had a gosling with wry neck this spring and I was just beyond distraught, worrying that she’d never recover. I tried creating a little neck brace, but the unique way that her neck was twisted made it impossible. Fortunately I read about selenium and vitamin E! For 7-10 days, I added Rooster Booster and a few drops of oregano essential oil to her water, but more importantly (I believe), I gave her crushed up selenium mixed with the contents of a gel cap of vitamin E. Here was exactly what I gave her every day:
  • 50 mcg Selenium, crushed into fine powder (I had to buy 200 mcg tablets and cut it into quarters)
  • Contents of 180 mcg Vitamin E gel cap (pierce gel cap and squeeze out)
I mixed this up and then fed it to her using the end of a matchstick every morning. After a week I didn’t see any improvement and wondered it I should give up, but on day 10 she drastically improved, then within 24 hours she was back to normal!

At three months old, she’s now almost full sized and living a happy and healthy life. Her back has a slight hump to it, and she’s slightly smaller than her sister, but her neck is straight and she’s able to happily participate in all the goose activities that our little flock does together every day.

Hope this helps anyone who is going through the same thing! Here’s what she looked like before and after.
81E03D62-2BB3-4268-BC6F-4341931421DA.jpeg

709C3E1F-1A81-4074-96AB-4B4A52D16E28.jpeg

Hi there,
SO GLAD YOUR goose got better.
Did you give 180 IU of vit E or 180 micrograms or 180 milligrams/ day?
I have a gosling about 3months old with same symtoms but she can not stand either.

Back
Top Bottom