Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

Why not available all day? Do geese not regulate their food intake like chickens? Yeah I think I will just use Vegemite ( I know some people use it for their sick chicken chicks ).

Quote: Aww, poor little guy. Hope he has a good sleep and gets all his strength back.
As I said above I think I will just use Vegemite.lol. You put it in their water.

I don't even have babies yet hahaha. I am considering getting some Geese and would wan to start out with goslings. So I am just getting prepared.

Thank you for your help and good luck with those fluffy butts!!!

Code:

Toulouse or not Toulouse that is the question. :lol:

Looks like one. How old is it?

hi she is 4 weeks we got her as a pal to our first embden who hatched on her own. Its amazing how their natures are so different. We now have 2 younger embdens 10 days and the toulouse will happily sit with them whilst her embden sister just wants to eat them !!!

5 more due to hatch this easter.

What is Niacin?
I live in Australia and we may not have the same stuff as the US.
So grazing even when they are day olds?

Why not available all day? Do geese not regulate their food intake like chickens?
Why brewers yeast?
Hi Luke, i´m just catching up with the thread, and all this may have been answered, but I´ll answer it anyway.
Niacin is Vit B3. If I can get it in Brazil, I´m sure it´s available in Australia. I use Brewer´s Yeast because it has niacin in it, and some other good things too. Geese need grass. It´s their natural food and they´re best designed for it. they love other things, and that´s fine, but not by leaving out the grass if at all possible. They also LOVE chick crumb (nonmedicated is fine, except it lacks enough niacin), so if you feed a lot of that, they won´t be getting what they really need. And why spend more than you have to? Grass is harder work for them, but it´s good for their digestion and it keeps them busy. by keeping the babies on grazing, I´ve never had trouble with them 'grazing' each other. And a day or 2 days old, yes, in a warm spot for half-an-hour or so, or at a few days old, even all day, depending on the temperatures you´re getting. Mine are happy for ages wandering about in the sunshine, whether they´re with their mom, or whether I´m hand-raising them. After a while, depending on the temperature, mum will snuggle them up for a good warm-up, and you can do the same thing. After a little while, she´s back out there with them grazing. you can do the same thing. Or, fix up some kind of heat-lamp in a run on the grass, so they can get the heat when they want, and graze when they want. choice is yours, but grass is important for them. And not long grass, has to be short. They also love lettuce. On these threads a lot of folks feed them romaine lettuce. i´ve not found it here, but it has a good level of niacin in it. i feed mine normal lettuce, but then they do have a little Brewers Yeast in their water or feed....
Do day old geese not need a heat lamp, brooder etc?
They need about 35ºC for the first 5 days to a week, then each week bring it down, but they don´t need this temperature constantly. Actually, you´ll find that they try to get out of the heat, so they need a place where it´s a lot cooler, too.
Also, I know that marmite, which is like vegemite, has VitB12 in it. Not the same thing. So check the vegemite to see if it has niacin in it. I hope this helps, and sorry if I´ve repeated anything that someone else has already said. Most likely they have.
lol.png

Yeah I think I will just use Vegemite ( I know some people use it for their sick chicken chicks ).

Aww, poor little guy. Hope he has a good sleep and gets all his strength back.
As I said above I think I will just use Vegemite.lol. You put it in their water.

I don't even have babies yet hahaha. I am considering getting some Geese and would wan to start out with goslings. So I am just getting prepared.

Thank you for your help and good luck with those fluffy butts!!!
That´s brilliant to be so well prepared. You should be able to avoid a lot of problems.
don´t forget to send pics if you decide to get them...it won´t be long now before the breeding season. :))

Back
Top Bottom