Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

While each goose has its own personallity my experience is that they get along fine with other breeds of poultry until they reach maturity. At that point there can be some conflict. My gander, who grew up with my ducks and chickens, reached maturity and began attacking the other birds. I had to create a goose pen apart from everyone else. Even today he will, on occassion, fly over the fence and try to attack the ducks. So, be cautious, be prepared to move your goose apart from other birds and more important, get another goose so they have companionship.

Should I get 2 females or a male and female?

Should I get 2 females or a male and female?
The only reason that you might want a male would be to breed and produce goslings. Two females will be great companions to one another, will produce eggs if you want them (not fertile) and will, in the long run, be a lot less trouble to care for. If you do decide to get a pair (gander and goose) try really hard to get them from different stock. Brother/Sister or Mother/son matings can produce genetic problems in their offspring.

The only reason that you might want a male would be to breed and produce goslings. Two females will be great companions to one another, will produce eggs if you want them (not fertile) and will, in the long run, be a lot less trouble to care for. If you do decide to get a pair (gander and goose) try really hard to get them from different stock. Brother/Sister or Mother/son matings can produce genetic problems in their offspring.

Ok I'll try and convince my parents to let me get two females. Thank you for the advice

Hi guys! I havent signed in all week maybe a little longer. Dont habe time to get caught up on all posts but i will. We have dealing with our first set of hatchlings (that are sticky) . 4 of them have die, three hatched sucessful and one is still trying to hatch (duck in a cup) no geese. to stressful as it is to add my favorite bird to the mix of hatchling losses

Hi guys! I havent signed in all week maybe a little longer. Dont habe time to get caught up on all posts but i will. We have dealing with our first set of hatchlings (that are sticky) . 4 of them have die, three hatched sucessful and one is still trying to hatch (duck in a cup) no geese. to stressful as it is to add my favorite bird to the mix of hatchling losses
Andrea PM Lacrystol she is excellent on things like this and hopefully can help. so sorry about your losses.

Sorry, I was out of town all weekend, working at a dog show.

The gosling is doing great! And I have another 1 hatching right now. So he/she will have a buddy soon.
Here is the darling today.

Back
Top Bottom