Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

Kind of surprised but at least 3 of my first 5 eggs of the year are developing. Hard to tell on a 4th but keeping it for now. Got a bigger bator to get some of the rest of the more recent eggs going to see how they do.

Finally have the groups in their private pens. Golly (young gander, previously in pen 1, now sole gander of pen 2) was very grateful since Navine (senior gander of pen 1) wasn't letting him have any fun at all. And of all the ganders Golly has the best personality!! When he's proud of himself he sticks his bill straight up in the air and marches around congratulating himself. It's a total riot, I'm not sure how he doesn't trip and fall on his face! He looks kind of snooty, but it's so cute!

As of today my girls are one month over due on laying eggs. I would say the trauma has something to do with it.
My ducks are mating and one is laying. I believe its my blue ancona type hen. I think i will call any ducklings from that pairing saxonconas since my drakes look like a saxony lol going to pop 5 eggs in the bator tonight. They will be 11 days behind the swedish and pekin eggs.

As of today my girls are one month over due on laying eggs. I would say the trauma has something to do with it.
My ducks are mating and one is laying. I believe its my blue ancona type hen. I think i will call any ducklings from that pairing saxonconas since my drakes look like a saxony lol going to pop 5 eggs in the bator tonight. They will be 11 days behind the swedish and pekin eggs.
Your probably right 8 that was alot of trauma they have been through. Look forward and seeing your ducklings.

I think I lost another egg.. its day 29 , I candled one and its moving but the other I don't see anything ..

The temp is at 99 and 65% humitity , I added a cup and soaked a maxi pad to get the humidity up
I switched them to the LG still air on lockdown

Can you hatch goose eggs in the upward position? like they are in the egg turner

I've hatched chicks and ducks this way when I had wobblers so they wouldn't suffocate after pipping, but never tried with geese eggs, best of luck =)
I think I lost another egg.. its day 29 , I candled one and its moving but the other I don't see anything .. 

The temp is at 99 and 65% humitity , I added a cup and soaked a maxi pad to get the humidity up 
I switched them to the LG still air on lockdown

Can you hatch goose eggs in the upward position? like they are in the egg turner 

I just picked up my first fertile goose eggs ever! 6 of them and they are huge. I am so excited to try to hatch them. I really want Sebastopols someday but I am going to practice on these eggs. They are African or African/Chinese mix. They take 28 to 30 days, right? Wish me luck!

One of my girls has gone broody! Yeah! She has at least 6 eggs and up to 10. I will check to see when she gets up. With cold temps today I will check some day when she is up. My other girl is still laying.

OK, I want to set more of my goose eggs, but some of the nicest ones are dirty. Just mud dirt, but some have quite a lot on them. I know I'm not supposed to wash eggs before setting them, but... Ever? Do I just set the dirty eggs? And then let them get all slimy when/if I mist?? I'm giving the girls more straw for their nests, but one lays her eggs in the chicken coop where there IS no dirt/mud and they're still dirty!

I guess the washing question applies to duck eggs too. I think the eggs are encased in mud before they're even layed!

Thx!

If you have to clean eggs flick off the big chunks with your fingernail. Then you can rinse it off under the faucet with cool/warm water. Then with a wet cloth or paper towel you can pat them with it to remove some more until you are satisfied. If you have to, rinse it again. Then dry the egg with a dry cloth. Just do not rub, it will push the dirt right into the pores of the shell. I gently clean mine this way and have never lost one that i have cleaned.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom