Goslings - Should I raise them or let Mama & Papa Goose do the job?

catnip

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Nebraska
My American Buff goose has stared sitting on her clutch of eggs. This will be her, and my, first time. I raised this pair of geese from the start, so I'm part of their goose family.

I've had no problems with aggression. They're suspicious of my DH right now in breeding season. He can't enter their area right now without gander aggression. Outside of breeding season, he's just regarded cautiously.

So, all you goose experts out there, if these eggs hatch should I pull the goslings and hand raise them or let mom & pop goose do the job?

If you want them to be tame & people-friendly, you'll have to take them away & hand raise them from day-olds so they will bond to you. Otherwise they will always be standoffish & aloof.

I am glad I raised my first pair, but if I ever get more...
Sometimes when I am eating breakfast watching the geese look through the windows of the french doors, tapping a greeting and waiting for me to come outside (pooping on the porch all the while), I wish for a little more "standoffish and aloof!"
wink.png

I believe that it is better for the parents and the offspring to allow nature to proceed as it would in the wild... but, if you let the parents raise the babies, they won't be as enamored of you... but survival rates tend to be better, and the babies grow a lot faster.... I think it depends on if you want to put their needs and health before your personal preference.

IMO If the parents don't fear you they may bring the goslings to you to enjoy, just don't do anything to make the babies cryout in alarm. My first generation I had to hand raise and they followed me around like puppies that first summer but started fighting with me for my place in the pecking order that fall. I had to convince each one that I was the Boss goose, that wasn't much fun. When they became parents they would often bring the family to me if I was sitting down or laying on the ground. the goslings would climb all over me while the proud parents kept an eye on us. I would never take goslings away from parents. It is easier to let them do it and the young grow up to be well adjusted geese that look to me as a big friendly Uncle that often had treats for them. JMO

Our Mommy Goose has just hatched 12 goslings! We would like her and Daddy Goose to raise them. Along with a proud Aunty and Uncle Goose.
Anything specific we should be aware of? Should we fence them or allow them reign of the garden? Should we supplement food? We have lost a number of chickens to aerial predators so not sure if 4 geese enclosed is enough to scare away predators? Thanks for any advice:)

Those geese will protect their goslings with their life. But there is always still the chance of preds even with 4 geese watching over them. But geese are awesome at caring for their goslings and the joy of watching them is so rewarding. If your garden is fenced maybe try them and see how it goes. Main thing is making sure all the gosling can stay up with the rest of the family in a larger area. Feed should be either chick starter or a All flock like Purina Flock Raiser all the geese will nibble on this but geese prefer to graze grass if they have it but goslings need extra nourishment. Plenty of fresh water also.

Congrats and please some pics!!

Back
Top Bottom