Got 2 chicks today that were in bad shape UPDATE post #6

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
What are the chances they will make it?

We got them at our local Tractor Supply. One had been under the water bucket (they said this happens quite a bit) and the other had been under the feed bucket. They don't know how long they were under either one as the only way we knew was when they were changing the bedding out.

My son seen the first one that had been under the water bucket. It was soaked and cold, he almost did see her, she was blending in with the bedding lying on her back. They asked if we wanted her because they did not have any one that could care for her. The other one was seen by the sales associate, it was just kinda lying there not moving, we were leaving with the other one when she asked if we wanted that one too. So we took them both.

We had 70* weather here today but we had the heater in the car full blast and my son kept the wet one in a jacket and then as she started to perk up he held here and rubbed her chest and tummy in front of the heater vents. The other one sat in my hand in the box while I drove.

They have been under heat lamps since we got home and have drank some water, which I have put ACV in, but neither have eaten, at least I don't think so. They are both fluffy and walking around, but seem to be more noisy than any others we have had in the past.

We were NOT planning on getting chicks this year, only ducks. But I thought if I could just get 3 that would be okay. LOL Well got 2 of those 3 and I am going to let the folks at TSC know how they are doing and if they have others in the same condition or other, we will gladly take them.

Here they are about an hour after we got home, on the left is Paddy and on the right looking up is Clover.

Last edited:
Keeping 'em warm is good. If they are not eating that much...start droppering in some sugar water in their beaks. They need the sugars to function. oh I hope they make it for you!

Oh and make sure their vents are clean and not "Pasty Butts" from stress.

Last edited:
Pasty Butt is what I worry about most. Since they are both up and walking around I am hopeful. The one that was wet wouldn't even open her eyes for a long time on the way home. But after she got warm she seemed fine.

I will watch with the eating to see how they do. Thanks

Sugar water or sav-a-chick probiotic & electrolytes would be very useful. Food is less important than water right now, and food wont mater as much either if you can get some electrolytes in them. Nutridrench is a vitamin supplement that I would give if you have it on hand. Depending on the parent bird's health, the vitamins could make a huge difference in how they feel and recover!

if you notice pasty butt becoming a problem, you can give them organic apple cider vinegar (with the living mother!) in their water, 1tsp/1gal. organic ACV helps recent their PH balance to it's proper level. saw that you are doing this already, so great job there :)

they don't seem to be physically damaged by being under the feeder/waterer?

I do have electrolytes and I will mix some of that up for them. They both did eat some last night but they had issues sleeping as in, they didn't want to. LOL They were fine as long as I held them.
roll.png
but I couldn't exactly do that all night.

I thought about giving them some colliodal silver in their water, but not sure how much I would give them and what good it would do them? I give it to my cats for URI when they need it.

As far a physical damage, I don't see any. We thought the one that was under the waterer might have some wing or leg issues, since she was having such a hard time standing (like a newborn would) but she seems fine on her legs now and her wings seem fine as well.

Okay, it looks like Clover is getting pasty butt.

What else to do besides the ACV and cleaning with warm water? I have never really had to deal with pasty butt so not sure?

Have been dipping her beak in the water but will try to get a dropper and give water that way.

The ACV in the water and the cleanings. I don't think there is anything else to do. The ACV mother will establish itself soon and hopefully the poops will level out to more normal ones in a few days. If they are getting too warm in the brooder this can give pasty butt too. are you at the 80-90 degree mark or is it too warm? Gosh I'm so glad they made it through the night!
woot.gif
Lucky to have you come along when you did.

So far I have only had to clean her butt once. And she has to be eating, because I use a pint jar in their feeder (the round one with holes) and the jar is empty and all is left is just to the top of the tray and I don't think just one little chick is eating that much. So I would say that is a PLUS or 2 PLUSES!!!

As far as the temp goes, who knows. My stupid thermometer is not working. Need to dig out one of the reptile thermometers to put in there.

Will keep y'all posted.

Back
Top Bottom