Not sure how to proceed...

AkSandy

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
One of our hens hatched a chick (she is often broody and has never been successful before, so we were letting her sit on one egg...). We are in the mountains and winter is almost here. The chick almost has the shell cleared and mama hen has been out and about eating and periodically sitting on the egg. Should she be on it all the time? It is currently almost 60F out (daytime temp- lows in the 40's). We have an infrared heater and could set it up in a dog kennel (with momma or without?). My question is what would you do? Leave them out in the nesting box and let her do her thing (we have 18 other hens and 2 roos). Bring them both in the house, my worry here is if it survives, will it be acclimated? Just bring the chick in the house? Or put the kennel with the heater out in the coop? Or...?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

One of our hens hatched a chick (she is often broody and has never been successful before, so we were letting her sit on one egg...). We are in the mountains and winter is almost here. The chick almost has the shell cleared and mama hen has been out and about eating and periodically sitting on the egg. Should she be on it all the time? It is currently almost 60F out (daytime temp- lows in the 40's). We have an infrared heater and could set it up in a dog kennel (with momma or without?). My question is what would you do? Leave them out in the nesting box and let her do her thing (we have 18 other hens and 2 roos). Bring them both in the house, my worry here is if it survives, will it be acclimated? Just bring the chick in the house? Or put the kennel with the heater out in the coop? Or...?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Congrats on your new chick! I'd keep an eye on them and make sure mom is being very tentative to the chick. Is she making soft clucking noises at it? She can provide all the warmth that baby needs. Just read your post again...the chick hasn't finished hatching and the hen is off the nest?

Congrats on your new chick! I'd keep an eye on them and make sure mom is being very tentative to the chick. Is she making soft clucking noises at it? She can provide all the warmth that baby needs. Just read your post again...the chick hasn't finished hatching and the hen is off the nest?
She is back on it. When we found it peeping this morning and about half hatched, she was out eating and we ushered her back in and put her back in the box where she has stayed since. She is making soft noises...

She is back on it. When we found it peeping this morning and about half hatched, she was out eating and we ushered her back in and put her back in the box where she has stayed since. She is making soft noises...
Ok, perfect! Make sure there is a chick safe waterer accessible and some chick starter crumble or all flock crumble. Mom will take the little out of the nest in 48-72 hrs and show it how to eat and drink. We are definitely going to need some chick pics! Watching a broody raise chicks is the best!

Ok, perfect! Make sure there is a chick safe waterer accessible and some chick starter crumble or all flock crumble. Mom will take the little out of the nest in 48-72 hrs and show it how to eat and drink. We are definitely going to need some chick pics! Watching a broody raise chicks is the best!
Would you separate them from the rest of the flock?

Would you separate them from the rest of the flock
Some people do, I don't and have never had a problem, but every setup and situation is different, so it is up to you. My first broody I watched like a hawk for a few days; she moved the chicks to a corner on the coop floor by the food and water I set out and stayed there for a couple days. Once the littles had their feet under them she took them out into the run with the others. The rest of the flock was curious, but a broody hen protecting her chicks is a sight, so they all kept their distance.

Well... mama hen kicked the baby out of the nesting box onto the coop floor, so we grabbed it before the other dinosaurs arrived and brought it in. It was peeping and moving and even stood a bit and looked around. We got it up to 93F and now it is curled up in some lambs wool and napping. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the help. More pics later if all goes well.
Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 14.12.19.png

Well... mama hen kicked the baby out of the nesting box onto the coop floor, so we grabbed it before the other dinosaurs arrived and brought it in. It was peeping and moving and even stood a bit and looked around. We got it up to 93F and now it is curled up in some lambs wool and napping. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the help. More pics later if all goes well.
View attachment 3658147
I'm glad you got it before something bad happened

Back
Top Bottom