Got 6 layers and a Rooster :) and my Chicken Plan

Flawedatdesign

Chirping
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Dixon Missouri
Okay decided on how I was going to approach my chicken craze lol.

Bought 6 mixed breed hens and had to take the rooster with them but that works if I want them to set eggs right.

Saw the egg size they lay and they looked good medium to large so I'm happy there. Just got to get the nesting area finished tomorrow.

Okay so I have decided my chicken craze is going to go like this lol.

1. We wanted eggs now so the 6 mixed hens give me that.

2. I prefer to have pure breed chickens but an egg is an egg when it's scrambled with toast lol.

3. I have chicks that are pure bred so I can raise those untill next year when they will be old enough to lay.

4. Any thing purchased will be juvi or chick size in a pure breed and kept till they are old enough to lay/sit.

5. As they will all be in separate pens when the time comes I can sell/ give away all my mixed hens and rooster.

6, Bad thing is it always looks better on paper
smile.png

Any thoughts?

Congrats! This kind of reminds me of my flock... I have 10 hens + 1 roo that I have to get rid of this fall! Anyway, all of mine are mixed breeds and I love it. I wanted pure RIRs and Barred rocks, but I've had so much fun enjoying my mixed colors and different comb types in my flock.

Yeah it was tough to pick out the rooster. The lady had to make sure I didn't have dinner plans for him she sold some to a guy a week ago and he made them all dinner. I picked out the biggest of the 3 and I'm a sucker for big birds.

Looking forward to see if these draw back my AWOL birds.

oh the theories: hahaha

I read once here, that one year you should get hens that lay brown eggs, and then the next year, the new pullets should be ones that lay white eggs, and the third year, the ones that lay green eggs. This way you can tell when your older chickens start to lay less.

Just another thought to confuse your plan.

I love the idea.....it is the follow through that I struggle with, this year, went with eye candy, next year, I am going to follow the plan. Mrsk

Back
Top Bottom