Got a 2 day old chick that doesn't poop, why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by giasmom, Jun 12, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I have a lone 2 day old chick, it seems normal, chirps quite a bit but if I go hold and play with it it quiets down. Problem is it has only pooped twice in 2 days. I have seen it pecking at its food & water, not alot though. No pasty but or any thing like that. Is this a problem? Most of my older chicks pooped the brains out at this age or so it seemed. Maybe it just seems that way to me because there was more of them. Several more of them. All in all should I be worried? Should I massage its bum like you do puppies to get them to poo ?

2. Crickett

Crickett Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Is it's tummy distended? Perhaps just a bit of molasses in the drinking water would help?

3. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Ok sorry to ask but what does distended mean?

4. Crickett

Crickett Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Sticking out, swollen, puffed up, firm to the touch.

5. annek

annek Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    considering a lot of the chicks are shipped and don't eat anything for the first 2 days or so is this really a problem? I don't know since mine were from TSC-just putting it out there.

6. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Quote:Nope its belly looks and feels normal. & just incase it matters, the crop feels normal also. Actually all seems normal just no poop.

7. Crickett

Crickett Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Try giving it another day. Maybe it's still digesting the yolk?

8. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, wet the food with a little water. Sometimes the crumbles are a little too big for them. Sounds like its not eating alot. If it doesn't eat alot, it doesn't poop alot..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: