got a copperhead tonight, right in front of our coop.

So glad you didn't get bit and hope you dispatched the remains in a big deep hole or threw the whole thing away! About two years ago I was walking my dogs on the road when my husky jumped backwards and I saw a brown snake coil! Before I could get her line in, it was a retractable leash, she put her head toward the snake again and got bit in the face, but thank god only one fang got her on the muzzle, the other we believe went through her lip. By then I could see what it was and it was a copperhead. She ended up being okay, I think I aged 5 years that night!

Quote:
i think there another, we were sitting on the deck just watching the flock and a young barred rock chick came running out of the brush hopping one leg, but it looked like it had just happened as we saw her come from the brush. I grabbed a shovel and headed in, but wasn't able to find anything. We are also missing a young Road island red, may have been victim of a snake, not sure, no sign of it. So far this hen seems like she will make it but I really don;t know what to expect. Looks like I need to do some brush clearing.
chickenleg.jpg

barredrock.jpg

TheCapps' :

Quote:
i think there another, we were sitting on the deck just watching the flock and a young barred rock chick came running out of the brush hopping one leg, but it looked like it had just happened as we saw her come from the brush. I grabbed a shovel and headed in, but wasn't able to find anything. We are also missing a young Road island red, may have been victim of a snake, not sure, no sign of it. So far this hen seems like she will make it but I really don;t know what to expect. Looks like I need to do some brush clearing.
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/Lynnecapps1/chickenleg.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/Lynnecapps1/barredrock.jpg

Are those 2 puncture marks? It's hard to tell with the pic.​

Our springer spaniel has been bit 4 times with copperheads--the vet says they will never build up an immunity. The second time was a close one and we took him to the vet as when he got bit the first time-this time she gave me some extra prednisone pills so if it happened again ---she said to give him one and some liguid benedry-she also told me the prednisone is the same for dogs or humans and if one of us got bit to take one(we live really far out) she said it would keep us from going into shock--?? dunno---anyway-he got bit two more times and I gave him the pill and dumped some benedryl down his throat. he came around after about an hour and has always done well-the two times he was bit in the face he had a huge goiter full of fluid both times under his jaw and bulbous nose-looked like it was morphed-LOL The vet said the extent of the bite will be contingent on the last time the snake fed--if it hasn't fed in a while the bite will be more deadly. He must have gotten smarter because he hasn't been bit in several years now. But man, he will tear a snake up in a hurry-I have seen him shake snake eggs right out of black snakes. On a side note he never did have big places rot out for them-can't tell he has even been bit.

Our Dobe got big last month by a snake. We didn't see it, just heard him yelp and hobble over crying and holding up his foot. We have 4 types of poisonous snakes here and the vet said if it had been a rattlesnake, he'd be gone in 4 hours. If he made it past then, he'd be fine. That was the longest 4 hours of my life. He doesn't have hair in the spot he was bit now.
We now have extra pred. All we had on hand was benadryl.
No idea what to do if one of the ducks gets bit, but if you are in poisonous snake country and have dogs, get some pred from your vet before you need it.

Quote:
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/Lynnecapps1/chickenleg.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/Lynnecapps1/barredrock.jpg

Are those 2 puncture marks? It's hard to tell with the pic.

yeah it looked like punctures, as soon as she came out my wife grabbed her and her leg was swelling as she was holding her, and there was clear fluid coming out where it looks purple in the picture, she took her inside and put her in a bucket of ice.

Back
Top Bottom