???Got A Hatchery Rant??? Post It Here!!!

I made a post awhile back (maybe 5 or 6 weeks) about how my delaware babies and light brahmas from Cackle were fantastic.

I am still reasonably happy with the brahmas (I expect some death - had three die) but the Delawares are ridiculous. They all arrived fine, a bit small and slow to grow, but I just figured it was Hatchery Chicks and they'd catch up sooner or later.

As of today (about 6 weeks later) I've lost 6 of the Delawares. (I ordered 15 pullets, got 16 of them)

Now, I wanted Dels pretty badly, so I ordered these January 2nd - thinking to get in before all the big orders came - and I knew they didn't start hatching out til mid February, but I figured I could wait a little.

With the weird spring weather my order kept being put back - weren't laying, etc... I finally (after three date changes) got them in early May.

Cackle would call (sometimes) to let me know, a couple of times I had to call to find out what date, etc... I realize they were very busy, so I wrote that off, also, as just being overwhelmed with orders.

I've had chicks from Mt. Healthy (LOTS of them, only had maybe 2 deaths out of over 100 chicks) and if I add in the Brahmas (25 ordered) then out of a total of 40 chicks I've had nearly a 25% death rate.

I don't consider this a good ratio. I have not called Cackle to complain, nor will I - I simply will never buy from them again.

I am only posting this for others who might wish to consider it when making their orders with Cackle - either choose someone else or get extras!!

I've had chicks so far this year from my own hatches (one or two deaths), from Mt. Healthy (no deaths this year) and from another hatchery in PA (no deaths) - the only big number deaths I've had to deal with were from the Cackle shipments. (I've had over 300 chicks from hatcheries this year alone - not including my own hatched babies).

eta - lost two more delaware babies last night. Brings the total chicks from Cackle dead up to 11 out of 40. and of the Delawares, I only had 15 to begin with.

meri

Last edited:
I agree with Meri. Last year I ordered 15 chicks directly from Cackle (never again. Its too painful, Also my local feed store gets them from there so I buy Cackle chicks from them) got 17 and I dont remember exactly how many, but between 4 and 6 died as soon as I got them home.
hit.gif
smack.gif
rant.gif

Last edited:
Well I just received an order from Cackle, first time ordering from a hatchery. Wasn't completely satisfied from the start because one of the breeds I wanted they said they wouldn't have any for about 3 years. ARE YOU SERIOUS? So I got my chicks last friday, order was 5 chicks short. They were going to refund me for those 5 but since I had a 2nd order due to go out in 2 weeks I asked them to just add them to that order. They said no problem but then after being on hold for almost 20 mins they told me that breed is actually sold out for the rest of 2009. EXCUSE ME?!!! So I had to settle for getting 5 more of the same breed as my 1st order. 2 birds have died since Fri., I'm not convinced they'll have my business again.

I just ordered from IDEAL. My order was shipped out last wednesday and got to me FRIDAY. When it here one fo my 2 ducklings was dead and the other died shortly after. Out of the 4 silkies I ordered to came down with what I think was wry neck and died. Both of the other silkies have mild cases of pasty butt. I got 9 male barred rock chicks (for warmth) and one of them is acting really lethargic and I've gave him sugar water but he was the smallest out of all of them so......
But I don't think I will ever order again from IDEAL It's just to far away and all the silkies were sick when they got here
barnie.gif

I have had good luck with MM...Cackle screwed up my Welsummers...got the roo but the six pullets were Brown Leghorns...I ordered 5 White Faced Black Spanish from Ideal in Feb but three of them were pullets...the Ideal order I received last Friday was good...one DOA duckling out of 15 and the 25 bantams are doing very well...I was really disappointed about the Welsummers from Cackle but the roo is gorgeous and my Leghorn wellys lay nice large white eggs every day...at least my survival rate has been very good from the various hatcheries...

To Twixerella. Maybe that was an unlucky delivery and really bad shipping stress. Ive ordered from Ideal personally (15 chicks) and only one died a few days later. Then when I looked for Ideal reviews I only heard one bad thing about them out of maybe 30?

ETA: I live in ABQ NM and I got a hatched Wednesday, delivered to my house Friday order. Oh and I also have another Ideal order (16 chicks) shipping June 24th arriving the 26th.

Last edited:
I ordered 8 silkies from mypetchicken.com and got delivery date of first week in June. Then on the 4 the they sent me an email and said Aug 15 th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had already charged my cc and I emailed them to cancel my order and of course no response.

I ordered from Ideal and got 2 crossbeaked chicks and one with a extremely crooked beak. Two of the 16 chicks died the crossbeaked chickens I still have.

I think it was the shipping stress, and they refunded by order,but I just don't want to order from a hatchery so far away anymore out of paranoia of that happening again

Back
Top Bottom