Got a problem...

dawg16

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
I started a topic earlier about over-crowding and two chicks getting pecked on. I got them more room and put the two that got pecken on in a cage to recover. There was some blood on one of them, but it's almost gone off her and she has recovered. I decided to put them back with the others, and by the way they could still see the others while they were recovering, and I'll be darned if they didn't go right to her and start pecking on her rear end again! I seperated them again....doesn't sound like a good deal to me.....any thoughts?

How old is the original flock and how old are the chicks? If they are not the same physical size, that's a problem...

Not much of a reply to my problem......I guess I'm unique....I'll figure it out myself........

Since the chicks had been separated for a while, they saw them as newcomers to the flock when you put them back in...and an established group will usually pick on newcomers until a "pecking order" gets established.

I stated in my first post they could see each other, and were right beside each other.....not sure they were really seperated...I guess the good ole' theory of the strong will survive will apply to my case....can't have different coops....

Last edited:
Try putting some Blu Cote on her where they are pecking. They usually will leave them alone after you do this because they can't see the blood and it also tastes pretty terrible to them.
Once they see the blood or wound..they'll keep picking it unless you cover it with something...the Blu Cote has always worked for me. I always get the dauber bottle though..the spray is great but it goes evvvvverywhere and it has to almost wear off your skin unless you use comet or something similar to get it off. If a wound is ever on their heads..make sure you have something covering your clothes because they'll shake and it'll fly everywhere!
rant.gif

I totally agree with the blu-kote. We had a very similar problem over the winter and the roos went after the hens. Tore up a bunch of my hens vents and once the blood was flowing there was trouble!!! We totally removed the roos and the hens were nursed back in a seperate area until there was NO blood. They pecked a LOT of each others feathers off when they were reintroduced but there has been no more blood. Blu-Kote and hot pick worked wonders. DO NOT use hot pick on open skin.

Best of luck!!!

I have the same problem with my new chicks,one rir keeps pecking at everyone else"s beak. I'm gonna try some pine tar or i also heard Vicks vapor rub works good too.

Back
Top Bottom