Got chicks on Wed...3 have already died. :(

(mostly for the sake of those who read this post in the future...) if you find yourself needing vitamins/electrolytes/save-a-chick or whatever, but can't get it right away, try molasses. It's much better than sugar as it contains many of the trace minerals that chicks need. When I have sick chicks I add a few drops of molasses and a tsp. of ACV per quart to their water.

It's not the pasty bum cleaning. You're doing the right thing there as long as your making sure they are dry when you're done. I had a pasty chick and I did the exact same thing running water over its bum, before drying off with a towel. I also would turn the blow dryer on low and dry it off a little more.

Sadly, sometimes you can have a bunch of them die off for various reasons, which is why a lot of places encourage you to order more chicks than you want in case you have some casualties. I agree with the few posts about food. Make sure they're eating and drinking. If they don't look like they're drinking , dip their beaks in the water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom