Got doors? Make a brooder.

OutInTheStiks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Thorn Hill, TN
Since I had an unexpected day off today, I decided to upgrade the chicks' brooder and give them a little more space. They were in a large metal water tank, which is fine for now, but considering they will likely be inside for another three weeks, I wanted to give them a little more space.

While I tried to sleep last night, I ran through a mental shopping list of any scrap laying around that would make a decent brooder. I finally decided on some luan closet doors that were just taking up space in a storage shed.

I tacked four of them together into a square and added another on top to provide a solid top and a bit of "cover" for the chicks. I built a simple 2x2 frame and stapled chicken wire to it for the rest of the top. The wire portion lifts like a trunk lid to access the brooder.

I'm happy with it considering I had 90% of the stuff laying around.

Picture.jpg

What a great idea!!! I have three doors I was going to get rid of- we are slowly changing ours over to white- but I think I will just hang on to them for a while!!!! The next phase is only a few months away!!

Good idea. My rabbit cage idea of using for the chicks are NOT working! They get throught the tiny gap between the bars! I have one that gets out all the time and looks for me. he/She loves to be held!

Back
Top Bottom