1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

got eggs wet - did I kill them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snugglepup, Jan 31, 2008.

1. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    It's day 20. Noticed the humidity was too low this morning, so tried to add warm water with a funnel (it's a hovabator). Of course it backfired and water went everywhere but in the channels in the tray. Some splashed onto the eggs. How bad did I hurt them?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I dont think you hurt them at all. [​IMG] The old timer that I got my bator from told me.....when I incubate the eggs, to lightly spray them every day. Well, of course I DONT, but they have gotten splashed a few times...like yours, and I have great hatches...so far! Take a deap breath....they will be fine! [​IMG]

3. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I went through the same thing...About a week ago with my cochin eggs...Candled last night, and they're growing fine! I've heard a lot about spraying/misting them, but I just use the reservoirs...I think the water runs off/evaporates before it can do any real damage!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When I had my very first batch of eggs I was instructed by the old farmer to 'sprinkle' them daily. Getting them wet with a little splash should not hurt them.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Mine get splashed when I add water and when I use a funnel to add to trays. Never has hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by