Got Em!

chickenwhisperer

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Chicken Country, U S A
I got my 10 cornishx this evening!

Being my first time doing this, I didnt want too many but also didnt want not enough . . .

Now that Ive seen them up close and been able to check them out at my leisure, I can see differences right away . . .

They look like they already have little drumsticks!

Anyways, when I look at them I get hungry . . .
cornishx001.jpg

cornishx002.jpg

Just to ease my mind . . .

Most things Ive read say optimal temps are 80-85 for these guys, right?
Does that go for these young chicks as well?

I didnt get a heat bulb for them, I gotta red patio floodlamp for them, was <1/2 the price.

They are definately not huddled under the lamp and not at the far end of the brooder, but a nice even spread in the heated zone.
The thermo says 87, directly under the lamp.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't worry too much about the actual temps. Just keep a light on them and may sure they're spread out nicely under it, not packed in a bunch or lined up agains the walls trying to get away from the heat.

Cool, thanks!
Thats exactly whats going on in the brooder, nice even spread.

Im kinda disappointed tho, all theyve done is sleep.
I filled the feeder in anticipation of watching them empty it . . .

I think maybe these ones are broken . . .
wink.png

Quote:
LOL... not broken. Give them time grasshopper give them time!! A watched chicken never grows!

So if you don't mind me asking, what was the deciding factor for you when you chose the cornish x's over other breeds?

Quote:
LOL... not broken. Give them time grasshopper give them time!! A watched chicken never grows!

So if you don't mind me asking, what was the deciding factor for you when you chose the cornish x's over other breeds?

I almost disagree on watching them grow- you can almost see their feathers coming in, and them gaining size. It's crazy how fast they grow!

Umm, yeah . . .

So I came home from work today and found . . .

These things had to have doubled in size today.

I put 1 older BR hen chick in with them, and about half of them are now her size, the other half of them are 2x as big also.
Mayyybe they aint THAT big, but definatley bigger.

Compard to the hen chicks, you CAN almost see these cornish growing right before your eyes.

The reason I chose the cornishx is in the original post, because I just wanna get it done and over with, AND get the most bang for my buck!

Seriously, I just looked and I think 1 got bigger while I typed this!

Quote:

I almost disagree on watching them grow- you can almost see their feathers coming in, and them gaining size. It's crazy how fast they grow!

Ya, LOL... they do seem to grow in front of your eyes.

Back
Top Bottom