Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

Please excuse what may see like a silly post, BUT...
I am starting my first flock and will inevitably get some roosters out of the bunch. I've been worried about mean Roos because I have young kids. I notice that just about everyone beats their flogging roosters. Since I train dogs, I wonder if anyone has tried training a Roo an incompatible behavior? Like rewarding it for being held, for keeping distance,etc? Bad behavior gets it separated from the flock while it watches the others get fed treats, etc. Might this work? Our family teaches our kids to respect life and we don't hurt or kill anything just because we can. Plus, I worry that a Roo would beat my 5 y.o. in a fight:-( It just seems to me that a Roo would keep on fighting something that keeps attacking it. No?

You are more than welcome to treat your birds however you see fit. Roosters won't keep fighting. It's all about pecking order. Are you the top rooster or are they. Our top roo keeps all the other Roos in line and never challenges us for supremacy. Occasionally we will have a young upstart think he's going to depose us. In that case we treat OUR animals as we see fit.

Our relationship with our animals is symbiotic. We feed them to eat, they eat to feed us.

Flocks a lot, no offense was implied. I was just wondering if there were additional ways to deal with challenging Roos. I train dogs, so I'm always up against people who think the only way to get their dog to "respect" them is to beat them in one form or another. Most bites come from defensive or fearful dogs! Since these peope couldn't be farther from the truth, I naturally wonder if Roos can be reinforced to act a certain way rather than punished for exhibiting a natural behavior. I do like how many people are saying that your calm demeanor around a Roo often doesn't set them off. That makes sense to me:)

if you're gonna hide your cuss words just dont say them
sickbyc.gif

My daughter is 3 and my rooster is now 10 months old. He started trying to flog her a few weeks ago. I tried to take care of the situation, but still he would get her anytime she was away from me. So i gave her a small stick to tap him w when he was around, and this worked great. So the other day i get home and my wife informs me than my little sweet,innocent little girl has turned into a Jedi warrior. Lol. It works cause that rooster will not get with in twenty feet of my little girl. I have limited the little samurai warrior to only one stick tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rooster behavior. humm ! ok hear is my 2 cents. flogging roosters happens. to best way to take care of that problem is simple. you have to teach the rooster who is boss. to do this nay seem wrong and i am sure i will get flack for this. if a rooster attacks you. take you foot and boot him across the pen a couple times. if he come back at you do it again til he stops. then give the bird a good stare. this may happen for a couple days. some roosters never learn. if the rooster does not learn eat him. as the bird gets older i will assure you his habits will get worse and be more damaging. remember those spurs. trust me they hurt.

I have one roo that I have tied out. He is tied that way because he is a hateful mean rooster. I can't have him in with the rest nor have him where he can attack me whenever he wants. I would cull him but he wasn't always this mean. I believe that during the time he was away from me (I've told his story on here somewhere else) that he was tormented by neighborhood kids. My hopes is that with continued patience and care that he will turn around. Otherwise, he will be in the pot and it will be a sad sad day for me. He does get to be around his flock when they walk over near him. On that same coin, they can get away from him when he starts being a butt.

I'm not a professional chicken person by any means but I am tying him out until he either stops violently attacking me or I get tired of trying and he goes in the stewpot.

Flocks a lot, no offense was implied. I was just wondering if there were additional ways to deal with challenging Roos. I train dogs, so I'm always up against people who think the only way to get their dog to "respect" them is to beat them in one form or another. Most bites come from defensive or fearful dogs! Since these peope couldn't be farther from the truth, I naturally wonder if Roos can be reinforced to act a certain way rather than punished for exhibiting a natural behavior. I do like how many people are saying that your calm demeanor around a Roo often doesn't set them off. That makes sense to me:)

You have a lot to deal with, as far as dog training, glad you take the time and effort to not only train the dog but also the owner
hugs.gif

I think the main difference is, dogs are dogs, they were breed to be our companions, they want to be a part of our pack, they crave our attention.

A Rooster could care less, he in general, does not want to be your friend, does not like hugs and kisses. He wants to breed and protect his flock. That could by why treating them super nice after an attack, generally, does not work, they don't look at it as caring, they look at you like you are weak. Of course there are always exceptions.

I also gave my daughter a stick to walk around with. Neither of my current two roosters have showed any aggression towards her (unlike the last one that tried to attack any chance he got), but if they do I want her to put an end to it right then.

Just my 2 cents, LOL!

LOL! You know, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope my Roos stay nice until I can get them into a pot:) While it would be a fun project to train a rooster, I have better things to do this summer !!!

Back
Top Bottom