Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

The hand feeding itself is not likely the problem. I use hand fed birds for educational purposes and they do not flog. They are four years old so adequate time pasted to develop tendency.

Consider what your response is when birds inadvertently cause you discomfort.

Hi i k ow this is a old thread bbut today our buff cockeral goliath flogged me as i left his pen he has never do e this befor. Weve had him an his hens since chicks
Hes 9months old in shock i turned around an kickked at him (dont worry i missed) just wondering the best way to handle him
Thanks

Hi i k ow this is a old thread bbut today our buff cockeral goliath flogged me as i left his pen he has never do e this befor. Weve had him an his hens since chicks
Hes 9months old in shock i turned around an kickked at him (dont worry i missed) just wondering the best way to handle him
Thanks

You might want to read from the beginning of the thread...there were a few methods offered for consideration there and you can pick and choose and find the one that works for you. It's always good to report back on a thread to let others know how the methods worked or didn't work for you so that others with the same issues can make a more informed decision about how to address it.

I have enjoyed reading this thread! Very funny stuff!
Our 5 month old Delacauna rooster hasn't challenged me yet....5' 3" woman, but he has started attacking and chasing my 9 year old son. Not sure I can get my boy to stand his ground and show him who is boss because he is terrified of him now, but I have told him not to go out there anymore without a walking stick. I would like to get this handled before his spurs come in.

By the way, I don't think I have any FooFoo chickens....although I'm not sure which breeds are considered FooFoo! I have Delacaunas, Delawares, Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers. Are they FooFoo? LOL. Also, I did love on them a lot when they were babies, but don't really handle them much now. I sense that they don't really like to be handled or touched, so I rarely do. The roo came to us at 10 weeks old and had never been handled. I have not touched him since I brought him home as I heard that excessive handling of roosters could make them more aggressive.

Any tips for a 9 year old scared little boy on how to handle the big bad roo? Also is there any truth to them not liking the color red? My son's school uniform is a red shirt and both times he was attacked he was wearing his uniform.

If i need to prepare him for the soup pot I am fully prepared to do so. The rooster, not the boy:lau

the stories in this thread are so funny . we had to give our rooster to a friend because of ordinances so I have never experienced rooster behavior, but we have 10 hens and when I wear red nail polish or my daughter wears florescent green nail polish they peck our fingers. so they definitely are attracted to red and that green. good luck to you

I have enjoyed reading this thread! Very funny stuff!
Our 5 month old Delacauna rooster hasn't challenged me yet....5' 3" woman, but he has started attacking and chasing my 9 year old son. Not sure I can get my boy to stand his ground and show him who is boss because he is terrified of him now, but I have told him not to go out there anymore without a walking stick. I would like to get this handled before his spurs come in.

By the way, I don't think I have any FooFoo chickens....although I'm not sure which breeds are considered FooFoo! I have Delacaunas, Delawares, Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers. Are they FooFoo? LOL. Also, I did love on them a lot when they were babies, but don't really handle them much now. I sense that they don't really like to be handled or touched, so I rarely do. The roo came to us at 10 weeks old and had never been handled. I have not touched him since I brought him home as I heard that excessive handling of roosters could make them more aggressive.

Any tips for a 9 year old scared little boy on how to handle the big bad roo? Also is there any truth to them not liking the color red? My son's school uniform is a red shirt and both times he was attacked he was wearing his uniform.

If i need to prepare him for the soup pot I am fully prepared to do so. The rooster, not the boy:lau

What I would suggest is for your boy to chase around the rooster with a stick even when the rooster is not being bad. This makes the rooster believe that he should avoid the boy. Most boys enjoy doing this, but make sure he doesn't hurt him. I gave my young grandsons permission to do this and the next thing I knew they were chopping at him...hard. I've done the same thing with my rooster (Randy) so that he doesn't forget that I'm to be feared. I haven't gotten flogged in awhile, but it's winter and they are coop dwellers and I think he's ok with me in there feeding and watering them. Good luck!

Thanks! I will have Brooks do it and see what happens. He really doesn't want me to make chicken pastry with him, so he will swallow his fear and do it if he thinks it will save this young roo's life.
The roo must see me as the boss because all I have to do is take a step towards him and he runs. Really don't know why since I have never tried any of the tactics I have read in this thread.....yet. I probably will now though just help him remember I'm the boss.

I never imagined that my rooster would attack me. He was a sweetheart. He would come to me and ask for treats. He's pick out a good one and call his favorite pullet. It was so cute. Just the other day, the pullet laid an egg. Now JR needs to be on Paxil or something. I was feeding the chicks last night and JR was crowding me, I pushed him aside and all hell broke loose. Rooster spurs and shorts are not a good combo. Before I could recoup, he came at me again. I had just enough time to aim a good kick. Seeing as I wear sandals, it was not an effective one. I need to remind you I am nearly 70 and pretty lame. I could not move fast if I had wanted to. I had enough time to grab the broom I keep in the run and gave that boisterous roo a run for his money. There was no question of catching him and carrying him. The run is 25 x 36 feet and that is one fast rooster. I chased him from corner to corner till he was screeching like a little pullet! It must have embarrassed him horribly in front of his girls and chicks, not to mention the rooster next door. I sat, shins bleeding, in my chair, fending off inquisitive chicks, and glared him down every time he looked in my direction. His crowing got rewarded by another race around the pen. I can tell you the only one upset was his favorite pullet.
I need to mention that I do not approve of animal abuse. I own 4 throwaway dogs that have been through so much! I love them all.
On the other hand, this is a big 10# plus rooster who can and did draw blood and left bruises. I don't feel I need to be concerned about being hurt again and if I have to use the broom to enhance my strength (or lack of it) I consider it an equalizer.
Today he was reasonably humble, but I did not turn my back on him nor did I put down the horse quirt I had around my wrist.
Needless to say, he got NO treats as was usual for him. The other chickens got extras.
I need to explain that it was not fear that made me so cautious, it was being prepared for possibilities.
I am not afraid of snakes, but unless I'm sure of what I'm dealing with, caution is the best defense.

lau.gif
clap.gif

There has to be one in complete charge . Do this and it should stop.
Stand there look him in the face, wait for him to charge, AND QUICKLY CHARGE AT HIM AN WHILE DOING SO STOMP YOUR FEET TO THE GROUND AS LOUD AS YOU CAN .......RUSH AT HIM! Do it as many times as u need to, it shouldn't take but one or two times, you have to SHOW him YOUR THE HEAD ROOSTER.

Back
Top Bottom