Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

I have a 8 month old EE roo. We started off with 4 and they were mean mean mean so they went to freezer camp at about 4months. Dave has been just wonderful the whole time. Last week my fiance came outside to sit with me while i gave everyone supervised freerange time. Dave attacked his shoes and lower legs! I couldn't believe it. He has never been agressive before. Even after a good boot to the chest he still kept coming. We tried the pick him up and hold him thing but as soon as his feet touched the ground he attacked again. My fiance then just pinned him to the ground and held him there for awhile. Next day he came out with me again and Dave did the same thing. How many times will it take for him to get the idea? He is super good with the hens but I wonder if he might get it in his little rooster head to come after me at some point.

I have a 8 month old EE roo.  We started off with 4 and they were mean mean mean so they went to freezer camp at about 4months.  Dave has been just wonderful the whole time.  Last week my fiance came outside to sit with me while i gave everyone supervised freerange time.  Dave attacked his shoes and lower legs! I couldn't believe it.  He has never been agressive before.  Even after a good boot to the chest he still kept coming.  We tried the pick him up and hold him thing but as soon as his feet touched the ground he attacked again.  My fiance then just pinned him to the ground and held him there for awhile. Next day he came out with me again and Dave did the same thing.  How many times will it take for him to get the idea?  He is super good with the hens but I wonder if he might get it in his little rooster head to come after me at some point.

I have a silkie rooster that has attacked me 2 times and my husband once. He is so small there is no danger involved, but I think our big rooster has stopped him from continuing the behavior. I just sort Of use my foot to keep pushing the silkie back til Bruce, my big roo comes and saves me...he doesn't allow any fighting between chickens, hen on hen, rooster on rooster, rooster on hen, rooster on human...nothing. He is the peacemaker. He's 2x the size of anyone in the coop so when he says stop, they do stop

I have a silkie rooster that has attacked me 2 times and my husband once. He is so small there is no danger involved, but I think our big rooster has stopped him from continuing the behavior. I just sort Of use my foot to keep pushing the silkie back til Bruce, my big roo comes and saves me...he doesn't allow any fighting between chickens, hen on hen, rooster on rooster, rooster on hen, rooster on human...nothing. He is the peacemaker. He's 2x the size of anyone in the coop so when he says stop, they do stop
My serama roo, royal palm and midget white toms serve much the same "referee" position in my flock. The Serama is the oldest and cared for the turkeys when they were poults. The Serama Is head rooster with the muscle of the two toms to back him up. My standard brahma, EE, and bantam cornish roos will not test him, and when they high amongst themselves, the searama and the toms are quick to break it up. Order kept by the oldest and longest spurred birds, I find.

I have 2 year-old roosters who started attacking me a few months ago. I smacked them a couple times when they flew at my face, but it did not stop them. i tried making friends with them and it did not work. They are good watch dogs for the hens and i couldn't bear to cull them. Since water bottle seem to work for cats I thought I would give it a try, I put the water bottle on stream so it would go farther and started squirting them in the head when they came at me. The first few times they tried shaking it off, but i kept squirting and squirting until they backed off. Every time they even walked towards me I started spraying them. At one point i kind of chased them squirting the bottle. For the next few days if they were in squirt bottle range, I squirted them. They are keeping their distance from me now. Hopefully this will be an ongoing solution.

Interesting, wirig. Thanks. I only have one roo (slw) who is just about ten weeks old. So far he is a peacekeeper amongst the hens but is of course maturing more every day so I'm trying to stay a step ahead of him in being prepared for the worst. Fingers crossed! I'm picturing me carrying the water hose on "jet" setting, though.
gig.gif

Lol, I used a squirt bottle on my first rooster too! All of my critters respect the squirt bottle!

I had to fight with mine. I had to switch hens in his pin and he leaped off his roost and flogged my sweater. I kicked him one good time and he came so I kicked again. He doesn't bother me no more. Now if dbf goes in the pin the hens try to attack him. I told dbf I don't play. I think he got the hint I'm boss. But I also go out and speak to them daily. My hens never bother me unless they think I have a treat then its on.

i do have a question how do you get a bantam to understand your boss. I have one extra small maybe a pound who I can not treat like my other one. What would you suggest

i do have a question how do you get a bantam to understand your boss. I have one extra small maybe a pound who I can not treat like my other one. What would you suggest

Catch and carry. Those tiny ones have Napoleon complexes. We had a bantam roo that thought he was a big roo until my son carried him around for a while. Course some of that carrying was upside down where all the hens came and pecked at him. His britches shrunk five times that day and he fit right back in them. Once he knows you aren't afraid to put him in his place he will avoid.

Back
Top Bottom