Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

I predict posts of disapproval of your methods, Al....
big_smile.png
But I applaud your interventions and think it should be a sticky!
lol.png
lol.png
I, too, react quickly and over the top to any roo aggression....they never really forget the crazy lady after that. She is one to be avoided at all costs and she can pretty much have anything she wants in that henhouse after one of my "lessons".
big_smile.png

big_smile.png
Oh, the out cry of abusive treatment shall follow. Lol. I have a RIR who methodically stalks me. THE MINUTE I turn my back on him, he is running up on me all puffed up like a marshmallow over the fire. Then, when I look at him he is like... (picture and innocent child child standing with their hands behind their back, whistling and moving one foot around in the dirt while not making eye contact with you) "What?" Now, I can handle him but we have toddlers in and out of here all the time. I (gasp) boot him as high as I can get him to teach him it is unacceptable! If he wants to bully me, I am going to bully him right back! I do not beat my children and I also LOVE my chickens. They sit on my lap and I care for them very well, but back yard bullying will NOT be tolerated at my house. Big red and I have had a couple of "Come to Jesus" meetings and he seems to be getting the picture! On the other hand my BR roo is calm as can be. Good luck!!
wink.png

I tried a method a lady suggested on the forum. You always offer food to the rooster first. My dark cornish was so mean that when I picked him he would bite me through my gloves. I had mean roosters before and rough treatment just made them meaner. I tried this but I was doubtful, but it worked. Working around in all small coop he is curious, but respectful.

My big orp guy came at me a couple weeks ago and I chased his big a$$ down and held his head to the ground. When I let go he didn't move one feather till I told him it was OK. Then he said "OK BOSS!"

Now I share my beer with him.
lol.png

I SO want to see a video of Al and his roo!
lau.gif

OH, and does anyone remember the story of the daughter giving her roo a bubble bath in front of his girls? I must find that one...

Edit: Found it! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2953887

Last edited:
To all the haters out there about not giving the roos their own medicine. We all know that there are nicer roosters out there that are just as good looking so they had better walk the line or they just might be dinner. My silkie roo tries that sometimes and has learned to respect the feed bucket. My mom and brother took care of my chickens while I was on vacation and she was like your rooster attacked me...I was like did you whack him? She said yep. I said good cuz if he keeps it up its over since hes nothing fancy.

I am having a similar problem with my California greys. They are far from game but none-the-less many of the roosters will launch an attack. Mine can be repelled temporally with the garden hose but you can not carry it around at all times. The rooster differ in how aggressive they are towards me. I think a strong genetic component is involved so those that are less inclined to attack, even when not best in other measures, get preference for use in brood pens.

In my birds, the individuals that are standoffish and cackle with side facing you are the ones that seem to attack later on. Those that come in close and are calm seem less of a problem.

If he repeats the performance, cull him - you don't want 'stupid' genes in the pool.
lol.png
I'm betting that the 'education' took.

if you ever watch the roosters you can see the dynamics at work, the head hen and head rooster get to be that by scaring the crap out of everyone else. I walk with a cane due to arthritis and my roosters think my cane is the Staff of Moses and run like hell when they see me only pointing it in their direction, and I plan on keeping it that way. How many roosters you see carrying a lower rooster around to teach him a lesson?? I am not saying it won't work I am saying I prefer my way that has worked for decades.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom