Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

Quote:
lau.gif

I love that glare of disapproval. "You made the giant chicken mad, Stan the Man. You totally deserve this."

No Cornish are not prone to being aggresive any more than any other breed, Despite the rukus that ensued he did emerge with little more than his pride dented as his feathers still looked in pristine condition. I knew right off when I began my assault that I wouldn't hurt him physicaly, there is a right way and a wrong way to approach this. I don't want to see him hurt or injured that would be stupid as I'd still like to use him, I have done this enough to know just how to do it and how far to take it, that is the important part. This guy is pretty dang big and stout so you can't just pretend to dominate him with silly technics, but to stay after it for a few minutes I think is the key, a short little tiff or go round with these kind of birds won't work. All that proves to him is it was a draw and he's waiting for the next time, put the fear of god in him and keep it there and don't let up. The time will come shortly after that he will become a fine addition to the flock and your program with no further inccidents.

I will take the camera into the coop today and try to capture some pic's to better tell the tale.

Quote:
My point exactly, although I never hand feed or handle them for any other reason than for their basic care........... moving them to different pens, caring for an injury or illness, cleaning, or putting them in a cage, inspecting them for growth and potential and such. Handling roosters and and babying them as if they were a red headed step child often leads to this bad behavior more often than not. But when your system or program for your flock consist of having a rooster in with several hen's to form a group, bad behavior will sometimes take hold as in a natural setting. WTS you still have to deal with it in ways the rooster and flock understand what's happening in their terms, and their terms don't include holding it which is what started the behavior in the first place, or shooting it with water, or holding it upside down. This stuff doesn't happen naturaly in their world so they don't understand, treating this rooster like a 2nd fiddle by the dominate rooster (ME) is what they understand.

Quote:
My point exactly, although I never hand feed or handle them for any other reason than for their basic care........... moving them to different pens, caring for an injury or illness, cleaning, or putting them in a cage, inspecting them for growth and potential and such. Handling roosters and and babying them as if they were a red headed step child often leads to this bad behavior more often than not. But when your system or program for your flock consist of having a rooster in with several hen's to form a group, bad behavior will sometimes take hold as in a natural setting. WTS you still have to deal with it in ways the rooster and flock understand what's happening in their terms, and their terms don't include holding it which is what started the behavior in the first place, or shooting it with water, or holding it upside down. This stuff doesn't happen naturaly in their world so they don't understand, treating this rooster like a 2nd fiddle by the dominate rooster (ME) is what they understand.

My thoughts exactly I handle my roo the same way that big over grown drumstick messes with me I let him know I'm head honcho.

Quote:

I do not think hand feeding is problem. I hand feed my game roosters and domminique roosters routinely to facilitate handling. They do not attack me at any age. The California greys, hand fed or not, are prone to attack. A strong genetic component operates with at least some flocks in respect to manfighting.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I ain't gonna take a chance on getting hurt by trying to pick 1 up. Come within switch or foot range you gonna get it for raising your hackles or coming at me .Been flogged before no fun when mine were small & pecked my hand while feeding them they got head taps now they saty out til I'm done putting food down. I get flogged they hit stew pot. Just ain't gonna put up with bad behavior.

And I think to a certain extent breed and genetics does play a part, obviously a gameier breed will be more prone to aggresive tirades regardless of how their handled. Hatchery mutts with all their mixed blood generaly are the least aggresive due to their dilluted genetics.

I think it is the hatchery rearing system that selects for the manfighting tendency. Meaner rooster more successfull in breeder pen when lots of competition you can not exclude is present. Hatceheries generally do not interact with their breeding flocks in manner that promotes need for selecting out the bad boys that otherwise are more likely to father chicks to be purchased by backyard chicken keepers.

Back
Top Bottom