Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

i have to say it is kinda funny!
lau.gif
v
gig.gif

Quote:
Ahhh...ok...well, I appreciate the info!!! Guess I'm gonna have to step up my game and put this little bugger in his place if he tries dancing at me...I appreciat the info, as these are my first chickens...I'm a newbie
smile.png

We all were once upon a time in a land far, far away.....
wink.png
No worries! Let us know about any roo schoolin' you do and the results you get. As you can tell from Al's accounting, it can get interesting and quite hilarious sometimes....one wishes they had a camera some days.
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is the greatest .. I am gonna write a chicken bible and put that in it. Since i have needed to walk with a cane for last 15 years, I use my cane to thump the floor. Yep we are on the same page and you should be a stand up comedian.

Roo schooling never really had a problem when they were very young & decided to peck my fingers when I was feeding them they got tapped on the head chased out of the hen house wait til I am done before attacking feed trough. Never raised hackles spread their neck feathers , the only time had a roo dance he got chased all over the yard , never happened again. I can pick up any of the ladies not to say they won't come watch but no aggressive behavior.
They are only handled to be checked every so often hens don't peck either. I have 2 main roos then also got 7 packing peanuts almost ready for processing. Never had a problem from any of them & don't tolerate bad behavior in their respective coops or everyone can get run out till I am done.
This may be foolhardy but I turn my back on them to do whatever I need to do, maybe they know we mess up we hit stewpot . I was flogged several times as a teenager this was one thing I said in the begining 1st roo flogging it goes to pot no if and or butts about it.
As with my dogs they know I am leader of the pack I guess the chickens know I am top hen. I don't have froo-froo chickens I have orps & brahmas good DP but really laid back & pretty docile as well. But man those orp roos are very huge they stand knee high,scary to think of the damage they could do.
They aren't pets but more than livestock.I take care of them they will take care of me with eggs & meat . My dogs however are froo-froo dogs 1 even has a wardrobe
gig.gif
. But they know how to behave & have been trained, 2 are habit dogs to visit in hospitals , nursing homes, schools, etc. The little guys get lot's of attention & are easily handled by these age groups.

Last edited:
I just had to check to see if the roos even paid attention to me, as I rarely see them. So I was busy framing out a new duck/goose house and the girls were coming and going as they normally do. Yes I do pick them up and love on them. They are after all my 7 year olds pets. Thats all 140+ of the hens. Well I noticed Old Harry Larry peeking at me as I held one of the younger girls. You know they just don't even try to come around me. I see them around, but always from a distance. When I need to give them a health check or deal with pests is about the only time I get near them. Even at night when I go to shut up the coops and count the girls the boys are way up in the rafters. I'm guessing that those times that I have treated them for pests has been such a violation that they want nothing to do with me.
lol.png
Since we lost little Smokey the Lakenvelder we just don't have any roos that even want to be near us. Boy I sure do miss that little sneaky pete weaving in and out of the horse legs just to attack my husbands boots. He was a brave little guy when my husband wasn't watching. Now if my husband knew how to deal with him in the kick/box smackdown (I have yet to read it to him, but this is something he sould know) I'll bet the poor little bugger would have stayed in the hen house. Course it was him trying to take on a much bigger and younger roo that did him in. Stupid stupid stupid. I done tried to tell that boy, but he just wouldn't listen.

Back when we had our first little flock of chickens, 3 young Dellie hens and a roo, my husband's mom called while he was out closing up the chickens for the night. He was taking a lot longer than usual. I called him in, he got on the phone and said (to his MOTHER!) "Sorry to keep you waiting, I was just out in the shed smacking my cock." I almost died, but I could hear his mom laughing from the phone across the room. Apparently the roo got fresh with dh, and he pinned him down and tapped him (gently) on the head to let him know he could hurt him if he wanted to.

I did get attacked for saying this was the method we used on another thread here on BYC. These were our first chickens, but I have always lived around people who have animals, and I knew they always gave their roos the boot or a good whack when they got too cocky. It unfortunately didn't work on Mr Smartypants (can you tell I have young kids? I never wanted to name them. Just The Rooster, that crazy hen, the darker hen, etc, works for me), but I'll tell ya, that Delaware coq a vin was the best tasting chicken I have EVER eaten!

That was over a year ago, and we have more chickens and more experience now. Our current only roosters are both only about 6 mos old, and 1 is a bantam. My boss gave me the other b/c he was an extra they were going to eat, but he liked him and was happy to hear I wanted a roo to take care of my free ranging girls at our new place in the country w/ lots of predators around. He hasn't exactly gotten fresh with us yet, but he does like to mount the girls when I'm trying to feed them treats. I put a stop to that a few days ago. I just chased him once and he hasn't done it since.
smile.png

My chickens are for eggs and meat, but I do like the ones that like to be petted and I do like to feed them treats out of my hand. And I have a few of the fluffy butt frou frou breeds because I think they're neat to look at. My sultan and Polish may not have a lot of meat on them, but they also don't eat much and they still lay delicious eggs! ANd they actually are NOT the ones that like to be petted and take treats right out of my hand. My best egg layers, my sexlink, my EE, my Faverolle, and one of our little bantam somethings, all who lay 6 eggs a week each, are the ones who run up to me and like for us to pet them. I like them.
smile.png

I also got attacked on another online forum where I advised someone who had a problem with geese to chase them while yelling loudly, and to make sure she had a broom in hand just in case. And don't be afraid to whack one if it started hissing and chasing her. Several people did not like that advice. They suggested a fence and said if they saw someone hitting a goose with a broom they would report them to the authorities. Sorry, I know the woman with the goose problem. She couldn't afford the fence. And she had 2 toddlers.

Yesh, there is always quite a bit of heart's blood on these forums
roll.png
...one has to consider the source and roll on with time honored, tried and true methods of livestock husbandry. No true farmer is going to be "cruel" to their breeding stock/food source and most farmers I know have a great bond with their animals. It is a bond formed of mutual respect for each creature's proper place in life.

It is not cruel or harmful to carry a chicken by their feet, upside down....folks have been doing that for thousands of years without any harm whatsoever to the birds. It is not cruel to loft a roo for getting too cocky, they are lightweight and their feathers are like armor...I've never injured a roo or any other of my animals for that matter.

It's best, when working with any and all animals, to take an assertive stance, a resolute way of walking and moving and maintain a common sense " this is how it's gonna be" attitude towards aggressive behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom