Got Mallards today...

chicken5

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
IL
Well, I got some Mallards today. 5 girls/2boys I've wanted to get more ducks but was still undecided. Today, I heard about someone who had mallard ducks that they could not keep. Was desperate to get rid of them. Long story short, I now have them. Is there anything breed specific info that I need to know? I already penned them by themselves for now. I have only raised my muscovies, and they are so self-sufficient. Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited:
I was only told that the ducks were Mallards. They did fly. The other property had them in an enclosed cage. When I got them home, I clipped their wings. They haven't flown since. That's all I know at this point....

well they can be kind of sciddish at times but other than that good ducks cant wait to see pictures
pop.gif

All 5 of mine flew off late summer. 3 came back for the winter and 2 just left again. There's a lake at the edge of my property where they probably went. The 1 who stayed this time swims in the horse water tank. I chase him out all the time. It's heated and he thinks it's his hot tub. (I have 2 larger ducks so he's not alone.)

Good for you getting those mallards I have 4 right now and a pekin but there still a little to young to go out yet.Ive had them before and yes if given a tractor or free range there very self sufficent.

I don't really have any advice - I just wanted to tell you that you're super lucky! I love my two little mallard drakes - my little runty one, Lullaby, hops right into my lap and puts his head under my arm for attention and treats. They were raised together, just the two of them, and they're inseparable. Even now, all grown up, Lullaby sleeps with his neck stretched up over his brother's back, all cuddled up together.
smile.png

Here they are as juveniles, still sleeping in a dog crate in the garage at night, waiting for their new pen to be finished, and then grown up and living in their new pen (which was in need of a good cleaning when I took the picture):
3762128069_01b99732d7_m.jpg
4317229552_618059c075_m.jpg

You simply must share some pictures of yours!
smile.png

Thanks for all the replies....So far, so good. They are in an outdoor pen with house and heat. I have seen them walking around the pen checking out the rest of the barnyard!! I actually like to listen to them talking. They are very different from my muscovies!! My muscovies are sooo quiet. Now I have the best of both duck worlds!!!!
I will post pics soon.....

Back
Top Bottom