Got Mice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tenderkat, Jan 27, 2011.

1. tenderkat

tenderkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello-

Just wondering what everyone thinks and does about the mice around the run?

I have had my chickens for about 1 1/2 years, and have seen mice here and there. For the past several months, there has been quite an increase in the amount of mice 'tunnels' I see coming into my run, and I have recently found two dead mice in the run. I'm assuming the girls saw them and killed them, but didn't eat them. I haven't noticed any signs of mice in the henhouse (which is elevated), just the run. I'm sure there are MANY more mice than I think there is, and I'm worried that it will escalate into a BIG problem if I don't address it soon. I'd really hate for the neighbors to experience any major infestations and have it lead back to my chickens. I was thinking of getting a bunch of traps and leaving them strategically placed during the night to try and catch as many as I can. I hate the thought of killing critters, but it's not as if I can gather them all up and relocate them.

Am I right to feel that I need to address this?

Can mice create any health issues for my girls, or do they tend to co-mingle benignly?

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Mice foul the food. Get a cat. I have several cats that lurk around my hen house. They never bother a healthy adult chicken. I don't let them near my little birds.

You might want to encourage the hens to eat the mice they've killed. This will give them taste for mouse.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    My cats take care of our mice so the population around my place is minimal.
    Your mice are probably getting fat off of chicken food.

5. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I spotted a mouse last summer who had the misfortune of running into the coop. The chickens pulled the poor thing to pieces and ate it in front of us- I haven't had any concerns about mice in the coop since then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by