Got mosquitoes?

Lacy Blues

Crowing
7 Years
Hey there...

Where I live we have WAY TOO MANY mosquitoes. Does anybody know of a trap of sorts that works?

I had this information in my file and am not at all sure where I got it. Has anyone else seen it and if so, have you tried it, and if so, does it work?

Making a Mosquito Trap

Because mosquitoes are attracted to the CO2 we breathe out, I started looking for ideas that used CO2 as the bait for the mosquito trap. I did think of dry ice but it does dissipate fairly quickly.
Supplies:

• 1 2 liter soda bottle
  • a sharp knife
  • black paper
  • tape
  • candy thermometer

Take a 2 liter soda bottle. Cut off the top right below where it starts to narrow for the top, invert and place inside the lower half.
Make a simple sugar syrup.
Ingredients:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups cool water
  • 1 tsp. active dry yeast
Directions:

Bring 1 cup of the water to a boil.
Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.
Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 2 cups cool water, stir well.
Check the temperature of the syrup to make sure it is no hotter than 90 degrees F, if hotter, let cool to 90 degrees F, add 1 tsp. active dry yeast, no need to mix. Put syrup in the bottom part of the bottle, using the cut off neck piece, leave in place.
Be sure to seal the two parts of the bottle with the tape. The fermenting yeast will release carbon dioxide. Put black paper around the bottle since mosquitoes like dark places and carbon dioxide. This mosquito trap will then start working.
TIPS: Put the trap in a dark and humid place for 2 weeks, you'll see the effect. You'll have to replace the sugar water + yeast solution every 2 weeks.

I'm going to try this. Not only is it irritating to have mosquito bites for myself, but they can pick up and transmit disease to my birds so I'll be putting it in the barn and see if we can't beat them at their own game!

I am interested to see if you have good results with this. I grew up in northern Wisconsin and I can relate to mosquito problems. Luckily, we moved to Wyoming. This spring I killed the 10th mosquito since we moved here. That is 10 mosquitos in 5 years!

If this works, I think I will tell my mom about it. She still lives in WI.

Given that it's so simple to put together I think I'll try this and see if it amounts to anything.

Here on the Florida sand ridge I don't usually have much of a mosquito problem, but after tropical storm Debbie dropped 15+ inches of rain on us they became a real plague. Now they're down to just a nuisance but still enough of one that I'll give this a try.

I've made these and they do work on flies (no experience of mosquitoes though). Just remember, it will attract a lot of flies, but it won't catch them all
wink.png

I just tried the vanillaroma car air fresheners in our barn. Hung 12 of them in a 25X30 barn and the fly population has dropped by 90%. It's simply amazing. I also got rid of hay on the ground which seemed to be a big attractant - especially wet hay. Think I'm going to take out stock on these fresheners!!!
wee.gif

i made one earlier this year and it has worked, the farm we moved to this spring was vacant for 3+ years so when it got warmer the skeeters were horrible and we tried this and it worked on skeeters, fly's, bees. then later we let the chickens and geese and turkeys out and that finished them off..

why not use a ultraviolet blue light bug zapper over your chicken run so that the chickens get a good feed when they come out in the morning?

Back
Top Bottom