Feb 27, 2009
Got my eggs today--yah!
ya.gif

Got my eggs today--yah!
clap.gif

Got my eggs today--yah!
love.gif

Now what??

No seriously, some very lovely showgirl eggs arrived today and are currently resting from their long trip. However, my silkie eggs that I were really hoping would make it today did not, meaning they probably will be here onMonday. The showgirl eggs were collected on Monday and Tuesday of this week.
So questions are:
1) Should I wait to put the showgirl eggs in until the silkie eggs are ready? (at which time it will have been 7-8 days since they were gathered)? Or should I go ahead and put them in tomorrow and set the eggs two days apart? Or should I split the difference and put them at one day apart and hope for a minimum amt of impact with humidity?
2) If I do wait to put them in, should I turn them while I am waiting, or should I let them sit the entire time with the small end down?
3) What do I do with the eggs (there are two of them) that don't have an obvious small end?
4) Is there anyway to tell if eggs are fertile before putting them in the incubator?

And no, I do not have another incubator or hatcher and do not plan to get one!! Seriously people!

I go for just split the difference but if you wanted to wait they should be ok just rember to trun thelm while you are waiting. A flash light can help find the air cell it will be not be very big that will be the big end Or the end that goes up Hope this helps. Good luck hatching.

Ok, I was also leaning towards split the difference. They will be 6-7 days old if I do that. Is that ok?
Also, what does that mean "turn them while you are waiting?" Should they be lying down right now and then I turn them from side to side several times a day, and then prop them small end down 12 hrs before putting them in the incubator??
Thanks!

I use cartons to keep mine in while i geather enough to set pointy end down then just place a brick or something similar under one end then move it to the other. I move mine once a day twice if better tho if posable

You mean so basically the egg carton is unlevel with one end higher, and then switch which side is higher?? Is that right? I think I was imagining something similar.

So this has me wondering--when the eggs go in my incubator, do they need to be propped up with the air pocket up as well?? I had just assumed I should lay them on their side and the turn them side to side. Should I use an egg carton instead (my incubator is homemade) and put them small end down, changing which diagonal end is higher? Or can I lay them on their side like I was imagining? Help!

I use a truner for mine but there are a lot of ppl that use cartons and cut the bottom of the cups out for air flow then just tilt thelm back and forth like the truner does In the bator you will need to trun thelm at least twice a day Always pointy end down or air cell up. I have talked to a few ppl that do lay thelm on there side and roll thelm back and forth i do think the carton works better (paper carton) on day 18 you will need to take thelm out and lay thelm on there side and not trun anymore.

Back
Top Bottom