Got my first chickens!!!

amartinlb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Jersey Shore
:jumpyfrow I have been reading everything here for several months but waited to join until I was a new mother hen:wee)!!!! Just got 6 Chicks at the feed store. 5 Aracanas and 1 suspected Rhode Island Red. They are about 3 weeks old and adorable.
They are in a large aquarium with a red reptile heat lamp (100 watts). The store recommended straw pellets and pen pals brand chicken feed.. I bought a gallon size water jug thingy and large hanging plastic feeder (not using this yet- put a round low plastic bowl with food for now) so I won't have to buy a larger one - he said they are large enough to use this now. I am so excited, I can't stop watching them! Does everything sound right? Any suggestions?

When I asked which chicks where the Easter Eggers the man at the store didn't know what I was talking about - he said there were aracanas and barred rocks left. I said oh I mean the aracanas. He pointed out which were which, and left for a while. After checking what else I needed I said I'd take the easter eggers and again he was confused. I know from the forum that they probably aren't ??? Can't wait to take pictures and post.wee

Congrats! They are definitely not Araucanas because no hatcheries have any that I know of. And though I often get blasted for saying this, feedstore personnel generally know nothing about chicken breeds other than what the hatchery labels the shipments...so hatcheries are mostly to blame for that. Enjoy your babies!

Enjoy your new chicks! Welcome to the world of chickens, they grow on you, and grow untill you have over 100 of those fine feathery friends. Enjoy them.

welcome I am new as well and just got my hens three weeks ago and still get excited to go let t them out and feed them in the morning! and when I am at home I just can not stop watching them either they are just amazing and very funny!

my husband works from home (for himself) and built the coop right near his shop ..he is not getting as much work done but his job satisfaction has grown not to mention his boss is a much nicer person to live with since we got these entertaining little girls
wink.png

Last edited:
Just got two Rhode Island Red chicks (meant to get gold sexlink but got wrong ones), what looks like two 1 week old Barred Rocks, and what are supposed to be 3 Cuckoo Marans.

My son is working on building a larger cage-area in our insulated garage to move them all until they are big enough to live outside and until I have the shed set up for them. He's making it so that there are chicken wire sides 4ft high (but with 2x6s along the bottom to prevent bedding from leaving onto the garage floor) and the bottom is plywood. He should have it done tomorrow or Friday.

I'll make him take pics soon.

Last edited:
He just finished uploading the pics.

The temporary setup:
PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

Cuckoo Marans x3:
PICT0016.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

1 of 2 Rhode Island Reds:
PICT0019.jpg

1 of 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks: