Got my first chicks! Plus some help/advice needed:)

Almric

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Well, after 2 years of fighting with the local town council regarding urban chickens it was finally decided a couple months ago that town residents would be allowed to keep up to 4 hens within the town boundaries.....hurray!!

I probably jumped the gun a little in ordering my chick but after all that time (including building a coop that has sat empty during these 2 years) I could wait no longer. Since I'm cheep I ordered the assortment of Dual-Purpose pullets from Rochester Hatchery up here in Alberta. Basically, you get a mix of 25 which could include chicks from the following 5 breeds:

THE RED ROCK CROSS
THE BARRED PLYMOUTH ROCK
THE RED SUSSEX CROSS
THE COLOMBIAN ROCK
RHODE ISLAND RED

When they arrived I was sad to see that the invoice didn't list what types I had received. I'm pretty sure that the black ones are Barred Plymouth Rocks while the yellow ones (the vast majority) are Columbian Rocks, but since some of them have dark wings and others are still all yellow I'm not 100% certain. I realize that the picture doesn't give a great view of all of them, but any input would be helpful:)

Another concern I have is that one of the chicks seem to be very lethargic. It seems she has been standing still most of the day, eyes closed, as the other chicks are running around the coop. She has walked over and drank some water but she's definitely different then the others when it comes to activity:( I might have to isolate her to check her poop as I can't tell what 'stuff' is hers:)

Eventually, I have to get rid of all but 4 of these girls, but I don't want to pass on a sick chick to someone else who would introduce her to their own flock. Ideas? Suggestions?

Neil

Well, after 2 years of fighting with the local town council regarding urban chickens it was finally decided a couple months ago that town residents would be allowed to keep up to 4 hens within the town boundaries.....hurray!!

I probably jumped the gun a little in ordering my chick but after all that time (including building a coop that has sat empty during these 2 years) I could wait no longer. Since I'm cheep I ordered the assortment of Dual-Purpose pullets from Rochester Hatchery up here in Alberta. Basically, you get a mix of 25 which could include chicks from the following 5 breeds:

THE RED ROCK CROSS
THE BARRED PLYMOUTH ROCK
THE RED SUSSEX CROSS
THE COLOMBIAN ROCK
RHODE ISLAND RED

When they arrived I was sad to see that the invoice didn't list what types I had received. I'm pretty sure that the black ones are Barred Plymouth Rocks while the yellow ones (the vast majority) are Columbian Rocks, but since some of them have dark wings and others are still all yellow I'm not 100% certain. I realize that the picture doesn't give a great view of all of them, but any input would be helpful:)

Another concern I have is that one of the chicks seem to be very lethargic. It seems she has been standing still most of the day, eyes closed, as the other chicks are running around the coop. She has walked over and drank some water but she's definitely different then the others when it comes to activity:( I might have to isolate her to check her poop as I can't tell what 'stuff' is hers:)

Eventually, I have to get rid of all but 4 of these girls, but I don't want to pass on a sick chick to someone else who would introduce her to their own flock. Ideas? Suggestions?

Neil
It's pretty common to have a chick that doesn't handle shipping well. They can get chilled or just stressed out. And they often don't survive.
All you can do is keep them warm and hydrated. And hope for the best. Make sure to check for pasty butt to keep their vent clear.
All I see in your group is the Barred Rock and Columbian if they are all from the list you gave. But they are some might pretty chicks!
Congratulations on starting your flock.!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom