Got my first egg! How do i eat

Wash them and pop them in the fridge. Then cook them. Pretty sure you need to cook them to where they are no longer runny to be fully safe, but not 100% on that since i don’t eat eggs.

Note you should never wash eggs that you plan to incubate. It removes a protective layer.

Also, congrats on the egg! The first egg is always so fun.

Wash them with water warmer than your egg and then enjoy! Make them the way you love best-we eat a lot of scrambled here. But, not everyone washes their eggs either. I think it depends on your set up, how clean your coop/birds/nesting boxes are and what your personal preference is with sanitary concerns.

Got my first egg today. A big brown egg from one and a little brown one. Not sure if she laid both or if one of the others did. How do I eat the eggs safely? I read so much about salmonella from backyard chickens.
Salmonella in eggs comes from an infected flock (or often from kids kissing on the infected chickens or handling them and not washing their hands).. Buying your chicks from and NPIP source such as hatcheries (and most feed stores are middle men) can help prevent this.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ide/poultry/national-poultry-improvement-plan

I've been raising backyard chickens, sometimes in high numbers for 10+ years without washing eggs (dirty ones are washed and fed back to the animals) or a single incident from anyone in my circle caused by eating my eggs or chickens. Of course everyone's mileage may vary.

It was actually a commercial outbreak and recall of Salmonella that convinced me to take things into my own hands and start keeping chickens (for eggs) in the first place. NO regrets! Though there is nothing cheaper about it.

I suggest fried with a SLIGHTLY runny yellow! :drool

New layer hiccups can cause all kinds of things like double yolks or no yolk, no shell, etc. And commercial eggs are highly candled to remove any "blood/meat" spots (their sent to cake batters, commercial foods, etc). Some birds are more prone than others, but don't panic if you do see something.. A decent article to review..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Congrats on your first eggs! :woot

FWIW.. I bet you could have your birds tested.. if you're really concerned.

I'm fondest of poached eggs, myself.

Soiled or cracked eggs are used only for dry-scrambled or baking, but I *personally* believe that my own flock's eggs are safer than commercial eggs -- which are pretty safe for the most part.

It's the handwashing after handling birds, bird equipment, unwashed eggs, etc. that I focus on.

Soiled or cracked eggs are used only for dry-scrambled or baking, but I *personally* believe that my own flock's eggs are safer than commercial eggs -- which are pretty safe for the most part.

It's the handwashing after handling birds, bird equipment, unwashed eggs, etc. that I focus on.
x2. I've never gotten sick from our eggs and feel much safer eating my own eggs than grocery store eggs. And I usually eat mine pretty runny, barely set whites and liquid (sometimes almost cool in center) yolks.

Salmonella from chickens is more a result of not washing your hands after handling the birds, their poop, etc. I wash my hands with soap every time after handling the eggs, whether it's to crack them into a pan or just moving them around in the fridge.

I don't wash eggs for the most part, but I do refrigerate since I don't go through them very quickly. If an egg is soiled I'll wash it off with slightly warm water and put it front of the line in the fridge, or it gets cooked and fed to the dogs.

Last edited:
Salmonella in eggs comes from an infected flock (or often from kids kissing on the infected chickens or handling them and not washing their hands).. Buying your chicks from and NPIP source such as hatcheries (and most feed stores are middle men) can help prevent this.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ide/poultry/national-poultry-improvement-plan

I've been raising backyard chickens, sometimes in high numbers for 10+ years without washing eggs (dirty ones are washed and fed back to the animals) or a single incident from anyone in my circle caused by eating my eggs or chickens. Of course everyone's mileage may vary.

It was actually a commercial outbreak and recall of Salmonella that convinced me to take things into my own hands and start keeping chickens (for eggs) in the first place. NO regrets! Though there is nothing cheaper about it.

I suggest fried with a SLIGHTLY runny yellow! :drool

New layer hiccups can cause all kinds of things like double yolks or no yolk, no shell, etc. And commercial eggs are highly candled to remove any "blood/meat" spots (their sent to cake batters, commercial foods, etc). Some birds are more prone than others, but don't panic if you do see something.. A decent article to review..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Congrats on your first eggs! :woot

FWIW.. I bet you could have your birds tested.. if you're really concerned.
Thank you so much

Crack it sharply and drop the contents out without smearing them down the sides. Or boil in the shell.

I've never washed an egg (from my chickens). The three or four that had a spot of something, had small spots. I turned the spot up and broke the other side. That made a hinge of shell and membrane that separated the shell from the contents. I did eat those as soon as I had them in the house on the theory that there is no point in giving anything time to multiply.

The bloom protects the developing embryos from microbes, I see no reason it isn't protecting the contents of these eggs too.

Picture of my unwashed eggs. This is what 99.99?% of them look like. Mocha lays speckled eggs; there may be some of hers in the pictures. Or not; she stated laying much later, stopped for the winter soonest, resumed laying the later than the other australorps, and didn't kay for more than a month while she was broody.

Attachments

• 32CC579D-F58C-4D60-8838-90B65F19DD66.jpeg
    32CC579D-F58C-4D60-8838-90B65F19DD66.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 33130C78-25BF-42C9-958E-BDAA906F5C41.jpeg
    33130C78-25BF-42C9-958E-BDAA906F5C41.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1446C758-2795-4D68-98C0-42460E998402.jpeg
    1446C758-2795-4D68-98C0-42460E998402.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom