Got my three duck orders in

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
I actually got 3 duck orders in now
woot.gif
-- Two to Holderreads. One has Penciled Runners and Hookbills, (I have some penciled and greys from them 2009) Beautiful friendly guys. Wanted more and loved the Hookbills, had to have some and heard they were good parents , so maybe they can be broodies for my runners. Then I ordered 8 Saxonys and 2 silkies. (I tried for silkies in 2009, but they sent me mini-Overbergs for a sub. which are wondrful little birds very pretty, tame, went broody and hatched 2 runners for me. And today I ordered frome Sandhill Preservation. In spite of reading some negative here (mostly from chicken people), and some good , duck people .I finally decided too as they were the only ones I could find Grey runners. I have one verynice pair and a slightly defective female from Holdereads Show quality breeders. (Runners have lots of flaws). Anyway I couldn't find anybody on the net who sold upright runners, so I am trying Sandhills', plus some more penciled (figured if I order from both I should be able to get some.
droolin.gif
and added more Hookbills for the same reason. I figured if I ordered less breeds per order I might get them easier, aI also put april or any date on all the orders (so I have time to complete more cages.) I do forsee,
ep.gif
having a garage full of brooding ducklings. I just set up a hardware wire circle and put shavings down and enlarge as needed
jumpy.gif
Did I mentioned I also sent for 5 shetland geese ordered too?
clap.gif

WOW...jump in the deep end why dont you. . Cant wait to see what all you get. I was going to order some hook bills just ..well just because but then read that they can fly so changed my mind and stuck with runners.

Hookbills are pretty rare it seems, they are supposed to be good mothers and good layers, thinking they may be good broodies... I just love their funny bills in the pics I've seen....I ordered 5 I think from Holderreads and 3 from Sandhill..... I also realised the orginial 10 ducks weren't enough to start a breeding program. I really love the Holderread runners. As long as I walk slow or stand or sit still they literally are under my feet. They understand "GREENS" very well, and "Bedtime".... My mini-overberg went broody and I set some eggs under her , like5, but she pushed out 3 and I chucked them.Two hatched , but I should not have left the pool in with her, they did ok, until the 3rd day and I found them dead on the rocks in the pond. Don't think I will(wetbrood) again, at least not overnight.
I tried to find grey Runners, but only could find them thru Sandhill or efowl and the cost was the same , efowl adds so much ,it was easier to order more ducks from Sandhill and cull any not up to par.... Runners are hard to get right..... I like the Penciled because they look , act like penguins
love.gif
and I like "non-white ducks" alot....Seem to not be very many "waterfowl " people in Georgia, excepting calls..........

Last edited:
I love white ducks so I just had to order 10 white Runners and 4 of their emery penciled. Im so excited, I dont know when Im getting them as I said any time for a date, so its a surprise and hopefully I will be ready for them.

What is the difference between Pencil and Indian Runners? Do you have pictures of your ducks? I have fawn and white indian runners and I just love them. They are so funny. Right now I have 12 babies in my bathtub. They will be going outdoors soon. Just waiting to see some feathers on them.

I did take in a Pekin that needed a home. Looking for a mate for him.

Quote:
Emery penciled is just the colour of the Runners im getting. penciled have the black heads with white and brown bodies, where as emery penciled are brown and white with out the black heads.
My baby Pekins will be going outside next week once Ive sorted out their rom, ill have a heat lamp in there also so they should be fine, plus I can get the 2 older ones out there too. How old is your Pekin, adult or baby

Quote:
Emery penciled is just the colour of the Runners im getting. penciled have the black heads with white and brown bodies, where as emery penciled are brown and white with out the black heads.
My baby Pekins will be going outside next week once Ive sorted out their rom, ill have a heat lamp in there also so they should be fine, plus I can get the 2 older ones out there too. How old is your Pekin, adult or baby

Oh, Ok, I see. I've never heard colors put quite that way before. Interesting. As far as I know we don't have those colors here. At least I've never seen the listed. My Pekin will be a year old this spring. I'm hoping to find him a mate his age or older rather then starting from a baby. Thanks for the explanation
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom