Got myself in a bit of duck-breeding trouble...

Oh no... only 3 of the 12 are dead :'(
I was QUITE sure WAY more since they were REALLY hard to candle at day 10. We could only see the egg-air-sack being right on time, no blood-vessles due to thick shell or anything looking like anything, one seemed to vaguely have a blood-ring, two vaguely 'too loose' the rest really a question. Well the one with the vague bloodring definately has a detached air-sack, and the two 'too loose' had and increased air-sack right on time, but a not-grown black little blob swimming around like a whipped egg for making scrambled omelet. The rest is still not quite clear to see though, 1-2 look more full then the others and 1-2 less-full but more visible veiny, both with according egg-air-sacks, the rest all in the middle. so those we will just have to see what happends..
I was more betting on 1-3 alive if we were lucky.. oops.

So I guess it is more-humid heated hatchery-building time now..
Can't wait to see the hatched babies!
Good luck! :fl :highfive:

Wow, that is a really cool old incubator! And a bit of a dilemma you got yourself into...

And btw you are probably the first person here that I've EVER seen unhappy because more eggs did NOT make it :lol: I understand though, space and long awaited breeds...

If you want or need to rig up a homemade incubator for hatching the old eggs, there are loads of plans and ideas here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/incubators-brooders.27/

It's important that you turn the new eggs when you start incubating them, though higher humidity won't hurt them for those few days. Hope you can get something sorted! Keep us posted, please :)

And btw you are probably the first person here that I've EVER seen unhappy because more eggs did NOT make it :lol: I understand though, space and long awaited breeds...

Hahaha! :lau

I offcourse do not wish or enjoy death on ducklings. I'm just feeling like a mother that was expecting one baby and it turned being triplets. Duck-octomom.
Especially the first period it is going to be a LOT 'how on earth are we going to do this' and a tight military schedule is needed :p And it will be a tad more crowded then planned. .. a LOT more. 3 times as much of changing, cleaning and feeding.
These were the last eggs of the season, delivered, and frankly quite filthy, and not all the best shape overall. And fist time using this ancient device. So I didn't expect much.
It was more of an panick reaction. All ducklings will be treated the best and wanted if born.

Thanks for your tips and advice.

The only part that might be hard to obtain will be a broody cat… :lau

She is still sleeping on it every day the whole day... but I'm quite sure she never will again when she learns that from this machine the 'monsters' come from.
The water-spreading, tail-knibling, butt-pecking, her cat-food eating, hissing-fights-instigating, tiny monster-siblings 'that are still part of the family and you are not allowed to kill' come from...

She is still sleeping on it every day the whole day... but I'm quite sure she never will again when she learns that from this machine the 'monsters' come from.
The water-spreading, tail-knibling, butt-pecking, her cat-food eating, hissing-fights-instigating, tiny monster-siblings 'that are still part of the family and you are not allowed to kill' come from...
:lau:gig- Pictures and videos of that, please! :yuckyuck

Back
Top Bottom