Got myself in a bit of duck-breeding trouble...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Loopeend, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    I have an unique chance of receiving fertile eggs of a duck I have been searching for over a year. They will arrive saturday; but current eggs in the incubator are 28 days over 6 days.
    I should rise the humidity then.
    Will this harm the newly eggs and can I put them together.
    Or can I better put the older ones in a make-shift incubator on day 28, with a higher humidity, since they don't have to be turned anymore? which I don't really actually have money for so might be a bit wobbly since I have to build it myself.
    I also want the eggs in as quick as possible instead of letting them lay around another 6 days..
    And this chance will does not come ofte due too lack of good Indian runners, and will mean waiting atleast a whole year again...

=/

2. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡Ducks♡, enough said.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

4. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

I think OP's already answered his/her own question

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

I would still like to know what they or other people would do. :oops:

6. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Me twoo!

7. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    OP does not see the answer. Please force OP to see the right answer, that it is currently not seeing now.

CaramelKittey, sumi, Raenh and 4 others like this.
  8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I don’t understand 28 days over 6 days. Can you clarify what day the current eggs are on?

9. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    over/at I can't find the right term. (and please educate me when you do understand what I mean)
    The OLD eggs will be 24 days on saturday, when the new eggs arrive that are on day 0.
    Today it is thursday; so they are now 6 days away from 28 days, and increasing humidity and stop turning them. But on saturday 4 days away from 28 days.

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ok i understand :D

If your incubator is large enough to hold all the eggs, I would allow the new eggs to sit one or two days, upright in a carton after shipping (depending how bad the air cells are), and set them on Sunday or Monday. Increase humidity on the current eggs on the day you originally planned - I assume Sunday or Monday. You can hand-turn the new eggs a few times until you see pips in the current eggs. Then I’d leave them alone while the other ones hatch. A couple days of higher humidity and no turning wont hurt them.

If you can make a divider in the incubator to separate the two sets of eggs, I would recommend it, to keep the ducklings off the new eggs if possible.

That’s what I would do. :confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: