Got myself in a bit of duck-breeding trouble...

Loopeend

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
I have an unique chance of receiving fertile eggs of a duck I have been searching for over a year. They will arrive saturday; but current eggs in the incubator are 28 days over 6 days.
I should rise the humidity then.
Will this harm the newly eggs and can I put them together.
Or can I better put the older ones in a make-shift incubator on day 28, with a higher humidity, since they don't have to be turned anymore? which I don't really actually have money for so might be a bit wobbly since I have to build it myself.
I also want the eggs in as quick as possible instead of letting them lay around another 6 days..
And this chance will does not come ofte due too lack of good Indian runners, and will mean waiting atleast a whole year again...

=/

I don’t understand 28 days over 6 days. Can you clarify what day the current eggs are on?

over/at I can't find the right term. (and please educate me when you do understand what I mean)
The OLD eggs will be 24 days on saturday, when the new eggs arrive that are on day 0.
Today it is thursday; so they are now 6 days away from 28 days, and increasing humidity and stop turning them. But on saturday 4 days away from 28 days.

Ok i understand :D

If your incubator is large enough to hold all the eggs, I would allow the new eggs to sit one or two days, upright in a carton after shipping (depending how bad the air cells are), and set them on Sunday or Monday. Increase humidity on the current eggs on the day you originally planned - I assume Sunday or Monday. You can hand-turn the new eggs a few times until you see pips in the current eggs. Then I’d leave them alone while the other ones hatch. A couple days of higher humidity and no turning wont hurt them.

If you can make a divider in the incubator to separate the two sets of eggs, I would recommend it, to keep the ducklings off the new eggs if possible.

That’s what I would do. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom