Got myself in a predicament...

Water will drain through sand vertically as long as the sand is raised higher than the water table. It's still going to be wet, but water behavior doesn't lend itself to two levels of standing water. As the water table lowers again following the rainy season, the water in the wet sand will drain into the clay loam of the lake bed and then the sand will dry out.

I like all of these ideas. Boards around the base and then coarse sand as deep as you can get it.:)

If sand isn't an option make your mulch as deep as you can and make a compost pile for the used mulch that you rotate out. Oh and the gutter, don't forget the gutter. :D

@aart @azygous @twendt
We do plan to move houses but not in the next couple years. This place is a rental and the location of the coop build was requested by our landlord.
I will definitely look into removing the chips or at least most of them and replacing it with sand this summer. At the very least, just adding more chips to raise the level of the run floor. We might be able to move the whole thing if we send in a request to the landlord. But available time to actually do it (move the coop) is a rare thing for our family especially in summer. Right now, the coop is about 200 feet from our bedroom window and the rooster crowing at 3:30am is causing some issues with my husbands sleep.

Thanks for all the options and suggestions my fowl friends!

I got my wish! We are COMPLETELY flooded. I jostled the chips loose so we will see what I’m left with after the water goes down. Chickens are pissed that they are locked up but they had snacks and are clean, dry and not drowned. Definitely looking into moving the coop about 200 feet away where the ground is a touch higher. Probably looking into sand as the footing in the run if we move it. Always exciting here when there is lowland flooding. Its crazy in the valley below us. Landslides, roads washed out and schools are closed tomorrow due to road closures. But I got my run cleaned out! Oh and I found out I have holes in my muck boots :hmm
9E58F60C-2E5D-447E-9BE1-E2013B7814BE.jpeg

C2CFB8BF-6CDE-48DD-8A5D-8A82EBA68DD1.jpeg

I see your problem. You're living on what was once a deep lake where Indians canoed and fished, and I bet you can find arrowheads like crazy up in the surrounding woods.
I know I’m late jumping into this thread, but I find your observation utterly amazing. I wonder what it is you see that clues you in to the land’s past use.

Unfortunately, unless our coops/runs are built in the perfect spot (as if that really exists) we all have to deal with excess water at some time, I guess. :idunno I know I do and am right now.

@azygous, I am so totally awestruck with your vast knowledge. Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom