Got one... dead predator pic

Ole and Lena

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Wright Co Minnesota
Normally I don't post graphic pics on here, but this one shows the proper application and function of a 110 connibear on a small to medium sized predator. No sign of struggle at trap site, neck was cleanly broken and death by nervous disruption or asphyxiation.

I used a funnel set made from some old boards at a known digging access point, securely staking the connibear trap in place to catch around the neck area. Worked perfectly. Also shot a skunk tonight. Bad day for chicken/egg predators.

13882645_1237221122979049_371182933198319063_n.jpg

How do you keep your neighbors Mrs. Whiskers or Fido  from getting caught up in that thing?  Seems risky.

You dont.
Anything that touches that trigger is done for.
With that size small things get their backs broke. Medium things get neck broke or skull crushed. Large animals get skull fractures, broken legs etc.
Theyre a no mercy, no frills killing trap.
I used them for years to trap muskrats but would only use under water never on land.

How do you keep your neighbors Mrs. Whiskers or Fido  from getting caught up in that thing?  Seems risky.

That's why the neighbors should keep Mrs. Whiskers or Fido home, or use the traps where there are no close neighbors. If catching a neighbor's roaming pet is a risk, and you want to maintain a good neighborly relationship, you use a live trap. Return the pets ho a as many times as you wish, dispatch the other varmints.

Last edited:
The trap shown by OP goes by different names........Conibear or body trap to name a couple. In my mind, they are in the family of "snap traps", similar in concept as mouse traps, rat traps, mole traps, etc. Animal sticks it's head in, trips the trigger and the trap snaps shut, killing instantly.

Don't know about in other areas, but was recently told by a professional wildlife removal guy that these are illegal to use in my state without a special permit by state Fish and Game. They are both indiscriminate and lethal. So yes, if so baited and so set, it could easily kill the neighbor's cat......or yours.

Speaking of rat traps, a lot of folks use them for weasels. If you know you have a weasel, bait them with chicken.....or maybe chicken liver?

Two versions......one with a trap box.......the hole filters the catch.......

and one without........

Yes, you have to be very selective where you set conibear traps. They are designed to kill what they catch.
If there is any risk of catching the the neighbors cat or dog, dont use them. Use a cage trap.
Don't use them where small children might encounter them, a broken arm may very well result if a child sticks there arm in, a very bad bruise at least.
In many states, it is illegal to use them on dry land, only allowed underwater for trapping beavers, muskrat & mink.

Yep, Large rat snap traps will kill weasels. So will a #1 longspring foothold if set properly. 110 conibears are too large for weasels, they can slide right past the triggers.

I like cage traps. They are very effective.
Unless it's the raccoons that visit my yard, which are way too smart to get caught in a live trap, but can get the bait out of it every time. Nope, my raccoons require a Dukes dog proof trap. Works great and doesn't endanger cats or dogs.

We have caught several raccoons as well in that trap. Would the Dukes trap work for coyotes?

Back
Top Bottom