Got our first egg!

sdm1908

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Florida, USA
I have a few questions
1. Do they lay an egg everyday?
2. What color eggs do white leghorns lay?
3. What color eggs do Americanas lay?
4. When do they lay eggs?
Also what chicken do you think this egg came from? An Americana or a leghorn?

I have a few questions
1. Do they lay an egg everyday?
2. What color eggs do white leghorns lay?
3. What color eggs do Americanas lay?
4. When do they lay eggs?
Also what chicken do you think this egg came from? An Americana or a leghorn?
IMO:
1 - depends on breed, some lay nearly daily some few days a week.
2- Leghorns lay white eggs - these are the same breeds raised in commercial egg farms
3-ameraucana's lay blue to green eggs if pure breed. If EE can be brown or brownish green?
4- from dawn to dusk…most lay before dark. 25 or more hours after the last egg.
Also - Leghorn.

IMO:
1 - depends on breed, some lay nearly daily some few days a week.
2- Leghorns lay white eggs - these are the same breeds raised in commercial egg farms
3-ameraucana's lay blue to green eggs if pure breed.  If EE can be brown or brownish green?
4- from dawn to dusk…most lay before dark.  25 or more hours after the last egg.
Also - Leghorn.

Thank you so much for all your help!
Also, do the eggs get bigger after the first one?
Also, so I probably won't get an egg tomorrow then, huh?

The first eggs are peewees, so cute and small. As the pullet continues to lay they get larger. One should be able to lay only as early as 25 hours after an egg …according to the experts.. but I am positive my first layer laid one at 23-24 hours ----had it on surveillance camera in the coop. But all since are at least an hour later each day.

Since Leghorns are considered primarily layers..bet they/she will lay an egg almost every day. Expect about an hour later each day, til not enough daylight, will skip a day and start over.

Big gals, like Buff Orpingtons started laying with extra large day 1 --- but 2 of 3 in my small flock stay broody 50% of the time and don't lay at all then.

Most resources - textbooks, online comments will tell you they lay by noon…..I know that is not true. Check your nests/coop for eggs by noon and in the evening before dark and you'll see for yourself. We usually wait til late afternoon after all have laid to collect eggs now. But once, one of my bars - the runt - actually laid her egg while others were going to bed on roosts..after dark. Would never have believed it if I had not been there to witness it - on camera!

My first layer, a barred rock, laid every day for almost a week when she started laying, could not believe it. And at 19 months she still does!

The first eggs are peewees, so cute and small.  As the pullet continues to lay they get larger.  One should be able to lay only as early as 25 hours after an egg …according to the experts.. but I am positive my first layer laid one at 23-24 hours ----had it on surveillance camera in the coop.  But all since are at least an hour later each day.

Since Leghorns are considered primarily layers..bet they/she will lay an egg almost every day.  Expect about an hour later each day, til not enough daylight, will skip a day and start over.

Big gals, like Buff Orpingtons started laying with extra large day 1  --- but 2 of 3 in my small flock stay broody 50% of the time and don't lay at all then.

Most resources - textbooks, online comments will tell you they lay by noon…..I know that is not true.  Check your nests/coop for eggs by noon and in the evening before dark and you'll see for yourself. We usually wait til late afternoon after all have laid to collect eggs now.  But once, one of my bars - the runt - actually laid her egg while others were going to bed on roosts..after dark.  Would never have believed it if I had not been there to witness it - on camera!

My first layer, a barred rock, laid every day for almost a week when she started laying, could not believe it.  And at 19 months she still does!
is it possible for them to lay at say 8 pm or so? Yesterday she layed at 7:30 so I'm thinking even though it's dark, she'll lay by 8:30?

is it possible for them to lay at say 8 pm or so? Yesterday she layed at 7:30 so I'm thinking even though it's dark, she'll lay by 8:30?
I have had only 1 to lay after dark. Know for sure 'cause have camera in coop. She always takes a long time in nest. Was in nest after dark. After laying came out into the run and was distressed to find it dark and no one there. Me and DH went out and shined a flashlight into coop window, she ran in and mounted a roost. I checked the nest boxes and there was her egg. One among many of the funniest things I have witnessed since getting my chickens. After that have never had a single chicken lay even close to dusk.

Here in my area it is now dark by 745 pm or so. Likely you won't see an egg tonite, but probably early tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom