Got sand? You should!

Pics
I made a coop out of an sandbox 12 x 24, half coop other half storage. I have 6" of sand floor and have no problems. They have a soft landing coming off the roost. Here is some pictures.

Funny thread lol but I need to know, is sand a good flooring for silkies with their feathering on the feet? Will the sand rub the feathering away? I love the idea of using sand and want to try it if it'll help reduce the poo problem. They have been on a hard ground dirt run that I rake to keep clean but they still track through their poo and get it all over their pretty feet. I think the dirt ground is starting to break the feathers on their feet to. I want to be able to take through it and keep it clean but not muddy so sand seems like a good option. But has anyone done it for silkies? How did it work out? Did it destroy their feet feathering?

Last edited:
Funny thread lol but I need to know, is sand a good flooring for silkies with their feathering on the feet? Will the sand rub the feathering away? I love the idea of using sand and want to try it if it'll help reduce the poo problem. They have been on a hard ground dirt run that I rake to keep clean but they still track through their poo and get it all over their pretty feet. I think the dirt ground is starting to break the feathers on their feet to. I want to be able to take through it and keep it clean but not muddy so sand seems like a good option. But has anyone done it for silkies? How did it work out? Did it destroy their feet feathering?

We have feathered feet on two of our girls; marans and light brahma, and i dont see that the sand rubs away there feathers or holds the poop. They free range most of the day though on grass and bark/dirt. But roost and on average spend about 10 hours a day on the sand in there pen.

I would cover the floor with paper toweling or something absorbent (not newspaper! too slippery) for the first few days or so until they learn what is food and what isn't. They will need the grit when they start foraging outside but sand is usually not a problem once they know what is food.

I have nothing but dirt in the run right now and I'd like to do sand. I've started noticing signs of mold on the dirt. It is a covered run but moisture definitely gets in. Will I have the same moldy problem with sand?

I have nothing but dirt in the run right now and I'd like to do sand. I've started noticing signs of mold on the dirt. It is a covered run but moisture definitely gets in. Will I have the same moldy problem with sand?

It rains a lot where we live in the pacific northwest, but i have yet seen any sign of mold. Our pen is not covered, hence I dont call it a run. The pen gets raked and cleaned as needed. I just cleaned it for the first time in months due to the leaves falling this fall. But it takes a month or two before we rake and clean the sand.

So does the sand freeze in the winter time because we are having temps well below freezing and I am using pine shavings but after all of these lovely comments on sand I am thinking about getting some.

Back
Top Bottom