Got the preditor on camera! Can you identify?

I agree...they are built for killing. A chicken has nothing to defend itself from claws and teeth. One bite to the neck and it is pretty much over.

I had to sit out a stalk a Ferrell cat here once. Most rural cat owners keep them outside and feed them rarely and expect them to fend for themselves on rats and gophers (and maybe your chickens), I agree with gg706 that shooting the perpetrator may be the only way to protect your coop.

That is definitely a cat in the picture my advice is shoot it. It amazes me the people on here who will sit back and say a cat can't/won't kill a grown chicken. A cat is one of the best killers nature ever came up with and it is more than capable of killing a chicken, just because your personal house or barn cat doesn't bother your hens doesn't mean every cat will have the same manners. Bobcats are rarely larger than 40 lbs yet can and do kill full grown whitetailed deer, a 15 lb feral housecat certainly won't have trouble with a chicken or even a group of chickens if they decide to kill them.

Ferrell cats are blamed (and rightly so) for killing rabbits and lowering the bob white quail populations in many states. Terminate him if you get the chance.

Last edited:
First off, that is a cat.

Second off, if the kitty is avoiding your traps, and you cant catch it, and it's killing your chickens, you should do what any good chicken steward(ess) should do, and apply SSS---Shoot, Shovel, Shut up. There are other options, but, sadly, this is the one most likely to end your problems with the kitty.

I have lost some 10-12 chickens to cats around the area. I know what they're like. They're relentless, stubborn, and will quickly reduce your flock to nothing. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

Good luck, and I wish you peace with the decision you make.
hugs.gif
Remember, it's just a part of keeping chickens; it's nothing personal against the cat, it's not revenge, it's just keeping your chickens from potential harm.

Again, I wish you peace with the decision you make.
hugs.gif

Hannah.

First off, that is a cat.

Second off, if the kitty is avoiding your traps, and you cant catch it, and it's killing your chickens, you should do what any good chicken steward(ess) should do, and apply SSS---Shoot, Shovel, Shut up. There are other options, but, sadly, this is the one most likely to end your problems with the kitty.

I have lost some 10-12 chickens to cats around the area. I know what they're like. They're relentless, stubborn, and will quickly reduce your flock to nothing. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

Good luck, and I wish you peace with the decision you make.
hugs.gif
Remember, it's just a part of keeping chickens; it's nothing personal against the cat, it's not revenge, it's just keeping your chickens from potential harm.

Again, I wish you peace with the decision you make.
hugs.gif

Hannah.
I never said I wouldn't shoot it? I have no issue with shooting any animal that threatens my flock. ;) I have actually sat out for hours after dark in 20 deg weather waiting for whatever comes. I have witnesses 2 cats multiple times and never had a safe shot. We live on a large hill. To the left of the back is a home, straight back a farmhouse, to the right is a cpl staying in a camper. All on the hill. The coop is by the garden and it seems no matter whare we are at the sighting, it has been an unsafe shot. I can't risk shooting into a home. The homes are a bit away, but still within range.

I don't think the broody was a cat. I will say it again. There was a small deep tunnel dug into the run and half of the chicken was gone. It was small like the size of a ferret. I never said a cat couldn't or wouldn't kill a full grown chicken. I do think one of these cats snagged the rear of the chick. I just wanted other oppenions on this pic. When I, or hubby, sits out waiting for the animal, it never shows. When we happen to go out and surprise it it hasn't been a possible shot. We bought the live traps in hopes of catching these animals, whatever they are, and shooting them.

We also have to keep the gate shut at all times and maintain the fence line because of a cpl dogs. The people down the road refuse to controll them. Animal controll is no use out here. I have warned them that if the dog comes on our property again it's a gonner. I had a bad close call with it and it had every chicken under the van. Tearing at the gravel trying to get them. I ran screaming instead of going to get the gun and the dang thing turned on me. it decided to back off and ran away. It was instinct to run screaming. I should have gone back in. I just didn't think. By the time it would have taken me to go get the safe open and get back out it could have either been gone or had one of my chickens though. Now I keep one handy at all times. Which is hard with little ones.

Thank You Chickenfan4life! I have seen SSS several times and never knew what it meant! If I ever have to shot anyone's animals...that is precisely what I would do!

Chicken bones,BBQ,cooked,boiled,baked,etc, is the #1 in a live trap.If they REALLY loved their pets they would keep them at home! Lots of hawks,Owls.and yotes feed on cats you know!

Would not want someone to find their dead cat burried in my yard. Oh look! A dead one on the road!

Last edited:
How far off are your neighbor's homes from the area where you would be shooting the predator? I can see you being leary of shooting a rifle in the direction of another building, but if you were to use a shotgun with a medium shot size you wouldn't have too much worry especially since shooting at a downward angle into the ground fine shot will not fly very far and cause colateral damage

Back
Top Bottom