Got the wrong feed - a lot of it

maryn7

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
NE Illinois
Hi there - I've got three pullets, 16 weeks old. I'm a first timer. I've got one pullet that's close to POL, but I've got an OE that I don't expect to lay for some time, so want to keep them on grower and provide oyster shell as I've seen a lot of folks here recommend.

I didn't like what I got from my feed shop last time (it's a small place in my city), so I called ahead to a feed shop out of town. The guy I talked to yesterday said they had a bag of Nature's Grown 40lb grower for pullets. Long story short, when I got there today, the kid running the desk sold me instead a 50lb bag of broiler grower. I asked him if this was okay for non-laying pullets, and he assured me it was. But it's at 21% protein, which seems high. I should have talked it through a bit more, but trying to make store interactions brief as possible due to covid.

So now I've got 50lbs of this (see tag pic - the one you can't read is the protein) Is the higher protein and other content ok for my pullets? I've got 10lb of scratch that's just cracked corn and seeds, so i could probably cut it in with the crumbles to reduce the protein content. Other suggestions? Obviously hoping to be able to use it, as it was a two hour drive away (I happened to be in the area today - not trying to drive back out there).

Thanks!

Attachments

• feed.jpg
    feed.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi there - I've got three pullets, 16 weeks old. I'm a first timer. I've got one pullet that's close to POL, but I've got an OE that I don't expect to lay for some time, so want to keep them on grower and provide oyster shell as I've seen a lot of folks here recommend.

I didn't like what I got from my feed shop last time (it's a small place in my city), so I called ahead to a feed shop out of town. The guy I talked to yesterday said they had a bag of Nature's Grown 40lb grower for pullets. Long story short, when I got there today, the kid running the desk sold me instead a 50lb bag of broiler grower. I asked him if this was okay for non-laying pullets, and he assured me it was. But it's at 21% protein, which seems high. I should have talked it through a bit more, but trying to make store interactions brief as possible due to covid.

So now I've got 50lbs of this (see tag pic - the one you can't read is the protein) Is the higher protein and other content ok for my pullets? I've got 10lb of scratch that's just cracked corn and seeds, so i could probably cut it in with the crumbles to reduce the protein content. Other suggestions? Obviously hoping to be able to use it, as it was a two hour drive away (I happened to be in the area today - not trying to drive back out there).

Thanks!
Add some cracked corn or low quality low protein fillers.

That's actually a chick starter (for broiler chicks), not a broiler grower.

Plenty of people feed similar feeds to their entire flocks, including baby chicks, mature hens and roosters, and everything in between.

It should be fine for your pullets.

Giving them some corn or scratch grains will also be fine, although not really needed.

I do not think you should mix anything into the feed, because then the chickens will try to pick out their favorite parts, and will waste the parts they like less. Corn or scratch grains could be sprinkled for them to scratch for, or fed in a separate container.

I used to seek out 20% pellets for my flock.

I never had issues from the higher protein.

I will say though.....50# for just 3 birds will likely degrade before they can eat it.

Do you have a deep freeze you can put A LOT of gallon zip bags of feed in?

From the date on the tag it was milled June 4, 2020. That makes it already 2 months old. Feed should be used within 6 months of the mill date.

Ok - thanks for reassuring me. So it sounds like the consensus is I can just feed them this - no worries - keep scratch as a side offering, etc. and use within 6 months.

In terms of the expiry date - the 10lb bag of Manna cost me 20 from Amazon, and this cost me 27 - so even if I don't use all of it, it's still a better value than continuing to order online. I do have a deep freeze - I'll see what (else) I can cram in there.

Ugh, I was so happy with the first crumbles my local store sold me. But the second batch was *very clearly* just scratch grain - it was full pieces of corn and seeds, rather than crumbles. (They repackage into smaller amounts like 5 and 10lbs, which is great! Unless it's not the feed you're trying to buy - and then there's no feed tags to check). I dunno what the deal was there, but had to scramble to get them real food.

Still learning. At least I didn't get them something unhealthy this time.

Tbh, they're just mad I don't feed them watermelon for every meal.

Thanks so much!

Ok - thanks for reassuring me. So it sounds like the consensus is I can just feed them this - no worries - keep scratch as a side offering, etc. and use within 6 months.

In terms of the expiry date - the 10lb bag of Manna cost me 20 from Amazon, and this cost me 27 - so even if I don't use all of it, it's still a better value than continuing to order online. I do have a deep freeze - I'll see what (else) I can cram in there.

Ugh, I was so happy with the first crumbles my local store sold me. But the second batch was *very clearly* just scratch grain - it was full pieces of corn and seeds, rather than crumbles. (They repackage into smaller amounts like 5 and 10lbs, which is great! Unless it's not the feed you're trying to buy - and then there's no feed tags to check). I dunno what the deal was there, but had to scramble to get them real food.

Still learning. At least I didn't get them something unhealthy this time.

Tbh, they're just mad I don't feed them watermelon for every meal.

Thanks so much!
No problem! Btw, never ever buy online again, that amount is CRAZY!!!! That is more like human food 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Always check the mill date on each bag; I like to use mine up within two months, not six months of milling.
Agree that it's fine, and giving them a small amount of other lower protein and lower fat stuff won't hurt. Soon you will want to put a separate dish of oyster shell out there for any pullets who start laying eggs. Not urgent, but get some the next time you get feed.
Online ordering is madly expensive, and you have no control over mill dates! Try to find closer feed stores, call ahead, and check feed manufacturers websites for nearby stores.
I'd consider freezing some of that feed too if possible.
We've never had only three birds at once... :oops:
Mary

No problem! Btw, never ever buy online again, that amount is CRAZY!!!! That is more like human food 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I didn't feel great about it, but I was very concerned about the protein levels in the food I had on hand and needed a quick solution. Also both these feed bags are a pittance compared to what we have to spend on wet food for a 21-year-old cat who turns his nose up at being offered the same kind of food two days in a row.... so my usual expectations are beans and rice for me, filet mignon for the animals - why should chickens be any different?

@Folly's place - that's a good idea. I'll see who I can wrangle up.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. These chooks live like kings, er, queens.

Back
Top Bottom