GOT THESE 2 LITTLE GUYS AT RURAL KING 4 WEEKS AGO

Jan 31, 2019
SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
CAN you help me with breed and gender....the girl that picked them out for me said they were araucans and these were both pullets....can anyone confirm this...i have a few pic jingle bells 2 4 weeks.JPG jingle bells 3 4 wks.JPG jingle bells 4 4 wks.JPG jingle bells 4 wks.JPG

Not Araucana. They’re easter eggers (mixes). Too young to accurately sex. Update when they’re 6 weeks+. I do have a suspicion you have a pullet and cockerel but like I said, too young to know for sure.

Agreed, they're definitely not araucana, and with those willow legs, are more than likely easter eggers. I wish that hatcheries would stop selling mix breeds, like ee, and calling them by the name of actual breeds (or close to it).
How you can tell right off that they're not araucana is that:
1. You bought them at a store. Top breeders in the US sell araucana for no LESS than $35. That's EACH! They're a rare and expensive bird.
2. They have tails. Araucana are a rumpless breed, which means that they don't even have a tail bone, let alone tail feathers.

That's the two biggest. I would have included the tufts, but araucana come clean faced, even if that's not breed standard. Since the tufted gene is the lethal gene, most breeders will breed their clean faced to their tufted to try to get more living chicks from a hatch.

Back
Top Bottom