Got to be a better way.

Most of my cages are 1x1 welded wire fence. That helps the cutting some. But I've recently just started using chicken wire. Its way easier to cut and bend. Its also only 1x1 holes. I can stretch it a bit if needed. I love using PVC to make the frames. They make corner fittings. I don't glue them. I just use a screw to keep the pipe to the fitting. If I want a different cage design, just unscrew it. I also just use zip strips to hold the wire to the PVC frame. If you do a good job, you don't zip strip every hole. It just works for me as they don't rot and are super light to move around.

I wondered if I could use chicken wire for the sides of my quail cages. Instead of a PVC I could make pallet wood frames and then chicken wire the sides and 1/2" hardware the bottom. Man the ideas are flowing. Let me work some out and I'll post the ideas.

I have 3 week old coturnix out side in a large cage. Its chicken wire sides and top. The bottom for them to walk on is 1x1 and a layer of chicken wire. They dont get out.

I chose this route because I want the poop to fall out but still have enough wire to walk on. I made 2 PVC frame doors on top, covered with chicken wire. The doors are hinged with just metal strapping. Can you tell my stuff is cheap and purpose built instead of pretty?

Last edited:
Pics would be great. I have WAY over buildup first cage but now I want many more birds to come so I need to figure out how I'm going to continue to build. I want a good solid secure cage at the lowest possible cost and with the use of as much reclaimed would as possible.

Check your private message. I can't post pics for some reason. I'm looking for a email to send to or number to text to

We use a hand held cutting/grinding wheel. Once the wire is cut we go back and grind and rough spots or edges so the neither the birds or us gets cut on it. Way faster and better end product than using snips! You local big box DIY store can help you find the right grinder and wheels to go in it.

I have a 4 1/2 " grinder with a cut off wheel. Never thought of that. I told you it was operator malfunction.

We need to get together here, I'll race ANYONE with a grinder, against my yellow Aviation snips cutting 1/2" X 1/2" wire,

And I don't need to go back and smooth the cut. I guess if I get time I'll make a video...

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to do it if I had not worked in a hardware store with some smart old men when I was a young fella, but anyway...

I have a 4 1/2 " grinder with a cut off wheel. Never thought of that. I told you it was operator malfunction.

Just practice on some scrap wire first! I gouged some wire I didn't want to cut the first time I used one.
We need to get together here, I'll race ANYONE with a grinder, against my yellow Aviation snips cutting 1/2" X 1/2" wire,

And I don't need to go back and smooth the cut. I guess if I get time I'll make a video...

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to do it if I had not worked in a hardware store with some smart old men when I was a young fella, but anyway...
OK, I'd love to see how those smart old men taught you to cut the wire smoothly.

Before I ask this question, nobody send me death threats or anything. Don't freak out and lynch me.

The plastic polytheism hardware cloth, anybody used it? What results. Seems like it would hold quail just fine to me. Might be a bad idea if you have a predator problem but I don't.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom