Got Weeds?

jessi0430

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
California
So, I have about 500 square feet of yard fenced off for five LF chickens and lots and lots of weeds. How long would it take for them to clear that area out? 32 square feet is the run and 12 square feet is the chicken house. The run was bare within like 3 days of putting them out there.

What are you trying to accomplish. Do you want them to turn it to a dust bowl or gave a free range area. If its for ranging a few days a week out there like every other day may work. You have to watch and regulate based on your water and forage growth.

My chickens free range and haven't made the tiniest dent in any of the greenery about the yard..I see them peck little pieces off here and there, but there is too much for them to get through I guess.

What are you trying to accomplish. Do you want them to turn it to a dust bowl or gave a free range area. If its for ranging a few days a week out there like every other day may work. You have to watch and regulate based on your water and forage growth.
My hubby wants to turn that area into a garden, so we are trying to get rid of the weeds. I'm also planning on sectioning off another area so the don't demolish the garden and still have room to play.

Depends on the climate. A lush growing climate and it will last along time. A dry or cold and it will go quick. I had a move able fencing that added about twice the amount of space to the run, moved it every two days in the late summer and fall. The grass kept growing into the mid fall then it got colder and slowed down. To preserve the grass I had to stop over the winter. So it all depends on your climate and how you manage it.

Back
Top Bottom