Gotta keep 'em separated

SkyeT

Songster
Aug 7, 2018
San Antonio
Okay, friends. Delimma.

We have 8 ducks. 5 Muscovy and the 3 stooges- 1 Rouen female, one Pekin male and 1 male Runner mix. We love them very much.

In the last month or so, the Pekin male has become a nuisance. I know ducks are very sexual animals... which still is weird to say. But, Maggie, the Pekin, just seems overly sexual. He is by far the male who tries to mount every chance he gets. The Runner mix kinda... only does it when Maggie gets in the mood. (monkey see, monkey do). Cupcake, our Muscovy male, is not very amorous (he also tends to charm the girl before doing his business). Maggie seems to also prefer 2 of our Muscovy females, and chases them relentlessly. They are literally half his size. We can't give out treats without him chasing her the whole time. Oddly enough, he rarely mounts the one female that does hang out with him, the Rouen.

So, right now, he and his cohorts are pinned in the back, separate from the Muscovies. I am just tired of our sweet girls being chased so much they actually make noise. I am also afraid that one of them will get hurt one of these times when he is chasing them.

Is there a way to deter him? If not, are we looking at having to rehome him to give our females some rest and recuperation time?

Not much you can do once those hormones kick in other than keep him separated or regime. They just can’t get a grip on it on their own and really can injure the females . My Runner drake went after the Muscovy females here until they finally stood up to him and he finally backed off.

Unfortunately, I have the Pacifist Muscovy Society (PMS). Even the drake isn't confrontational about his girls. The girls run away and finally once they are caught, submit. But the chase can last minutes unless we are able to intervene.

My Muscovy drake will not stand up for his girls. Which is kind of strange if it was another Muscovy drake going after his girls he’d be kicking butt. He just doesn’t really acknowledge the Runner drake as a threat. The girls have to stand up for themselves.

Fascinating about the muscovies! I learn something here every day.

I have a male Pekin - wish I could tell you it would get better... I don't think it does. My male Pekin is still going strong with the ladies - and it's cold and darker now. I keep waiting for his hormones to relax a little - they have not... From what I've read on BYC, I think male Pekins are just mating machines. I hope you can find him a good home if that's what you decide to do - sounds like a good decision - unless of course you want to get him a Pekin harem of his own!!! ;)

So we've put Maggie in a large pen with Duckter and Sunshine, and they are actually doing quite well in there. They walk around together, eat together, sit down together and seem quite fine.

The Muscovies are thrilled to have the pools to themselves. They sleep towards the back, not close to the pen, but within eyesight.

We do let Maggie and the friends out, but so far, it is an interesting set up that is working until we can figure out what to do with Maggie. If we do have to get rid of him, my husband wants a female runner. I just have to find one that is about the same age of everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom