GottaHatchAPlan Reporting to Chicken Duty!

GottaHatchAPlan

Chirping
Apr 3, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
So, funny story.
About a week and a half ago my mum goes out to market; 'I'm just going to buy some eggs!' she says.
About a 3 hours later she calls my phone; 'I've bought a chook!' she says.
Half an hour later I help get it home. I ask how we're supposed to look after it; 'It can't be that hard!' she says.
:rant
So.

We now have a new addition to the family: Peggy is a 6-month old Australorp/Barnevelder hen. She likes grapes, celery leaves, clovers and purple flowers petals google assures me are non-toxic, among other things. She's fairly chill, loves to sass the native birds (who mostly just ignore her), chat with us and has already gotten into the habit of eating out of my hand. Petting is still a no-go zone, but it's a work in progress and I'm nothing if not patient.

We've already built her a coop, and a run is on the way. We let her out every day at least once and she's already learnt to return to her coop after a few hours and has a fair idea of what her boundaries are (there are certain areas of the yard she's not allowed to go to, mostly because they're out of immediate eyeshot from the kitchen/bedrooms windows).

This site has been a godsend over the last week or so and I've been reading up as much as I can whenever I get a free moment from uni. I finally decided to sign up as I felt being able to have conversations with other chicken owners might benefit me better than just research and google.

We're sticking to just the one chook for at least another few weeks. Turns out Market Chicken Lady who sold Peggy was super shady; by day 2 I realised Peggy had both lice and coryza. So we're keeping her quarantined while we're treating her until she's better. I think she's making progress. I suspect she might have another illness as well, but I'll post that elsewhere.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice you guys give me!

:frow hello, and welcome to BYC.

So sorry about your newbies problems. IMO you are making the right decision to get her bug free and healthy before consider adding any more.

Hope she has no serious illness.
Thanks!
Honestly, I'm not sure if she does have anything else or not. I noticed some odd behaviour today and have made up a list of potential causes, but I'm going to wait for morning before checking her out.

:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

I am so sorry the market lady was shady. I hate to hear of people selling off their sick birds. It is not fair. :hugs

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Official BYC Coop Page Contest - Fall-Winter 2017

Caption Contests
Thank you! I'll check out the video now.:hugs
Yeah, selling off sick birds is unbelievable. The price she demanded was mad too; she first wanted $50 dollars for just the bird! Mum haggled her down to $40 (which included bird, cage, feed and DIY water bottle), but still, it's outrageous she would sell at all. She knew mum was a first-time owner and Peggy would need special attention. The fact she didn't even give any warning or sympathy for either us or the hen if ridiculous.
We're doing our best, though. Peggy's looking up to be a real fighter so we're staying hopeful. :)

Unfortunately chicken diseases spread very easily.
It's sad to me how some chicken owners have no problem taking birds from their sick flock to swaps and such which just spreads the nasties even more.

I strongly believe that people that sell their sick birds should probably NOT be chicken owners.

Maybe there is a special place for people like that in hell-o ;) wink, wink. Kinda like the store front puppy kennel (?) that sold us a black English cocker, that never laid near one. Long tail, short ears. Turned out to have fleas, worms and "vet recommended to us" said a cold.

He had us come back with her every week for a month, then decided she had distemper and needed to be put down. Very hard on a 10 yr. I've never forgotten what that was like. :hit:oops:

Maybe there is a special place for people like that in hell-o ;) wink, wink. Kinda like the store front puppy kennel (?) that sold us a black English cocker, that never laid near one. Long tail, short ears. Turned out to have fleas, worms and "vet recommended to us" said a cold.

He had us come back with her every week for a month, then decided she had distemper and needed to be put down. Very hard on a 10 yr. I've never forgotten what that was like. :hit:oops:
Yikes. People like that are vile.:(

Back
Top Bottom